100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Dietz was first found in Hessen, where the name was closely identified in early mediaeval times with the feudal
society which would become prominent throughout European history. Diez, the geographical origin of the name, is a town with a castle (later a prison) that belonged to the counts of Nassau-Dillenburg, in what was Hesse-Nassau. The name would later emerge as a noble family with great influence, having many distinguished branches, and become noted for its involvement in social, economic and political affairs.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Diez, Diets, Diedse, Dietze, Diets, Deetz and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dietz research. Another 126 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1765, 1786, 1794, and 1876 are included under the topic Early Dietz History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 55 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Dietz Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Dietz Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Philipp Dietz, who arrived in America in 1730
- Conrad Dietz who arrived with his wife and children in America in 1738
- Conrad Dietz, who arrived in America in 1738
- Hans G Dietz, who arrived in America in 1738
- Hans Georg Dietz, who landed in Carolina in 1738
Dietz Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Heinr Dietz, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1802
- Peter, Dietz Jr., who landed in America in 1833
- Joachim Heinrich Dietz, aged 45, landed in America in 1843
- Joh Dietz, who arrived in Galveston, Tex in 1846
- Ph H Dietz, who arrived in Texas in 1846
- John Dietz (1870-1939), American two time Olympic gold medalist for shooting at 1908 and 1912 games
- Edward C. Dietz, American Democrat politician, Candidate in primary for Delegate to Michigan State Constitutional Convention from Wayne County 3rd District, 1961
- Cyrus E. Dietz (d. 1929), American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Illinois, 1924; Justice of Illinois State Supreme Court, 1928-29
- Arthur Dietz, American politician, Candidate for Michigan State Senate 12th District, 1948
- Anna Dietz, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Wisconsin, 1928
- Elmer C. Dietz, American Democrat politician, Member of Kentucky State House of Representatives 66th District; Elected 1973; Elected unopposed 1975
- Fred Dietz, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Pennsylvania, 1932
- George C. Dietz, American Democrat politician, Postmaster at Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania, 1934-56
- Gould Cooke Dietz (1868-1948), American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Nebraska, 1916, 1920, 1924, 1928, 1932, 1936, 1940
- Henry M. Dietz (b. 1892), American Democrat politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Queens County 1st District, 1924-26
- Deets (also Dietz) Descendants by Walter S. Olson.
- Bahlow, Hans and Edda Gentry. Translation Dictionary of German Names 2nd Edition. Madison: University of Wisconsin, 2002. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. Pennsylvania German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Zoder, Rudolf. Familiennamen in Ostfalen. Hildesheim: Geog Olms Verlagsbuchhandlung, 1968. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Mecklenburgisches Namenbüchlein Ein Führer durch Mecklenburgs Familiennamen. Rostock: Carl Hinstorffs Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Nied, Edmund. Fraenkische Familiennamen urkundlich gesammelt und sprachlich gedeutet. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1933. Print.
- Jones, Henry Z. Palatine Families of New York 2 Volumes. Rockland, ME: Picton Press, 2001. Print. (ISBN 978-0961388829).
- Bahlow, Hans (Edda Gentry trns). Dictionary of German Names . Madison, Wisconsin: Max Kade Institute, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-924119-35-7).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
The Dietz Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Dietz Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 4 March 2016 at 00:16.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!