on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
This Surname was created from the Upper German personal name Dietrich, which is in turn derived from the elements "Diet," meaning "nation or people," and "her," meaning "army."
The surname Dieter was first found in Pomerania, where this family name became a prominent contributor to the development of the district from ancient times. Always prominent in social affairs, the name became an integral part of that turbulent region as it emerged to form alliances with other families within the Feudal
System and the nation. The five sons Peter Deterde (also spelt Dithers) were granted the feudal
property of Grapow by the Duke Bolislav in 1514.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Dieter, Deiter, Dieters, Deiters, Dietherr, Deeter, Deter, Deters, Teter, Teters, Dieterlen, Dietherle, Dietert and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dieter research. Another 165 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1412, 1450, and 1463 are included under the topic Early Dieter History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 22 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Dieter Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Dieter Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Georg Dieter arrived in Philadelphia in 1729
- Georg Dieter, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1729
- Johannes Dieter, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1732
- John Dieter, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1732
- Hendrick Dieter, who landed in New York in 1744
Dieter Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Johann Adam Dieter, who landed in Brazil in 1846
- David Dieter, who arrived in Brazil in 1846
- J Adam Dieter, aged 42, landed in Brazil in 1846
- Franz Dieter who arrived in Texas in 1854
- Christian Dieter, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1856
- Robert Dieter, American Republican politician, Presidential Elector for Colorado, 2000
- Paul Dieter (b. 1959), American sound engineer and record producer
- Hanns Dieter (1925-2005), German author, cabaret artist, actor and songwriter
- Henrich Dieter (b. 1927), German philosopher
- Dierks Dieter (b. 1943), German record producer
- Kindlmann Dieter (b. 1982), professional German tennis player
- Nikola Dieter (b. 1991), Australian footballer who currently plays for Sydney FC
- Walter Perry Dieter (1916-1988), Canadian First Nations leader
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Steed, Henry Wickham . The Hapsburg Monarchy. London: Constable and Company, 1919. Print.
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmacher's Grosses Wappenbuch 35 Volumes. Germany: Bauer & Raspe. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Tarneller, Josef. Zur Namenkunde Tirolen Familiennamen. Bozen: Buchhandlung, 1923. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans (Edda Gentry trns). Dictionary of German Names . Madison, Wisconsin: Max Kade Institute, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-924119-35-7).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
The Dieter Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Dieter Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 15 January 2016 at 13:42.
on orders of $85 or more