Dibenedetto History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The distinguished surname Dibenedetto originated in an area of Italy, known as the Papal States. Although people were originally known only by a single name, it became necessary for people to adapt a second name to identify themselves as populations grew and travel became more frequent. The process of adopting fixed hereditary surnames was not complete until the modern era, but the use of hereditary family names in Italy began in the 10th and 11th centuries. Italian hereditary surnames were developed according to fairly general principles and they are characterized by a profusion of derivatives coined from given names. The most traditional type of family name found in the region of the Papal States is the patronymic surname, which is derived from the father's given name. During the Middle Ages, Italians adopted the patronymic system of name-making because it perfectly complemented the prevailing Feudal System. In Italy the popularity of patronymic type of surname is also due to the fact that during the Christian era, people often named their children after saints and biblical figures. The surname Dibenedetto came from the first name "Benito," which is the Italian form of Benedict, which means blessed.
Early Origins of the Dibenedetto family
The surname Dibenedetto was first found in Ferrara, a city and comune in Emilia-Romagna, northern Italy, capital city of the Province of Ferrara. History dates the city back to 753. It was at war with Venice in 1471. It is a walled city and notable is the Church of S. Cristoforo. Knitted goods and shawls are made. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time was in itself a family honor.
Early History of the Dibenedetto family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dibenedetto research. Another 99 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1258, 1405, 1414, 1819, 1530 and 1590 are included under the topic Early Dibenedetto History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Dibenedetto Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Benzi, Benzo, Benza, Bensi, Penzo, Penza, Pensi, Penso, Benzizni, Benzani, Benzan and many more.
Early Notables of the Dibenedetto family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Dibenedetto Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Dibenedetto migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Dibenedetto Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Raffaelo DiBenedetto, who arrived in Ashtabula Co. OH sometime between 1875 and 1906
- Alessandro DiBenedetto, aged 12, who landed in America from Rocca Sicura, in 1906
- Antonino DiBenedetto, aged 53, who landed in America from Bisacquino, Sicily, in 1907
- Antonino diBenedetto, aged 22, who immigrated to America from Etimiso, Palermo, in 1909
- Antonio DiBenedetto, aged 24, who immigrated to the United States from Capodrise, Italy, in 1910
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Dibenedetto (post 1700) +
- Joseph DiBenedetto, American criminal defense attorney based in New York City
- Thomas Richard DiBenedetto (b. 1949), American entrepreneur
- Matt DiBenedetto (b. 1991), American NASCAR driver
- Vincent A. III DiBenedetto, American Republican politician, Presidential Elector for Virginia, 1996 
- Davide di Benedetto (b. 1983), Italian racing driver
- Ida Di Benedetto (b. 1945), Italian actress and film producer who has appeared in over 53 films
- Antonio di Benedetto (1922-1986), Argentine journalist and writer
- Justin DiBenedetto (b. 1988), Canadian professional ice hockey player
Related Stories +