Di maria History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The name is Biblical in origin, coming from the Virgin Mary. The fact that the prefixes "De" and "Di" are often added to it suggest that it could be metronymic, that is, a surname originally derived from the name of the first bearer's mother, and meaning "son of Maria." This is rare in Italian names, generally such names were taken from the name of the father (patronymics). In some cases the children of widows or the illegitimate children of noblemen's mistresses took the mother's name for their surname.
Early Origins of the Di maria family
The surname Di maria was first found in Genoa (Italian: Genova), and elsewhere throughout Italy. As surnames began to come in to usage in Italy, this name emerged independently in different parts of the peninsula.
Early History of the Di maria family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Di maria research.Another 291 words (21 lines of text) covering the years 1665, 1669, 1654, 1450, 1503, 1489, 1623, 1690, 1609 and 1669 are included under the topic Early Di maria History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Di maria Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Maria, De Maria, Demaria, Di Maria, Mari and others.
Early Notables of the Di maria family (pre 1700)
Prominent among bearers of this family in early times was Lorenzo Cybo de Mari (c.1450-1503), an Italian Catholic cardinal, Archbishop of Benevento, was made cardinal in 1489; Francesco di Maria... Another 30 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Di maria Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Di maria family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Di maria Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Ainello Dimaria, who arrived at the port of New York on June 22, 1891, aboard the "Alesia"
- Domenico Dimaria, who arrived at the port of New York on June 22, 1891, aboard the "Burgundia" sailing from Naples
- Francesco Di Maria, who arrived at the port of New York on Dec. 21, 1893, aboard the "Werra"
- Ciriaco Dimaria, who arrived at the port of New York on June 16, 1893, aboard the "Alsatia"
- Micheisant Di Maria, who, who arrived in New York, NY in 1893
Contemporary Notables of the name Di maria (post 1700)
- Jessica DiMaria, American college basketball player
- Ángel Fabián di María Hernández (b. 1988), Argentine professional footballer
Di maria Family Crest Products