Despres History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Despres family
The surname Despres was first found in Champagne, but one of the earliest records of the name was Pierre Desprès (1288-1361), a French Cardinal during the period of Avignon Papacy. He was son of Raymond II Desprès, seigneur of Montpezat. He was bishop of Riez in 1318 and Archbishop of Aix (1318-1320.)
Early History of the Despres family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Despres research. Another 22 words (2 lines of text) covering the years 1310, 1693, 1733, 1742, 1752, 1765, 1783, 1792, 1807, 1832, 1834, 1851, 1862, 1868, and 1888 are included under the topic Early Despres History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Despres Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Despres, Desprès, Despradelle, Despradelles, Desprairies, Desprat, Desprats, Desprez, Desprades, Despras, Despréaux, Despret and many more.
Early Notables of the Despres family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family during this period was Josquin Despres (1440-1521) a Flemish composer; Francisco Desprats (1454-1504), a Spanish Roman Catholic bishop and cardinal; Nicholas-Michel Desprès, a prominent doctor in Caen in the sixteenth century; Jean-François Despréaux, a flutist and opera singer in 1693; Antoine Desprès, an accomplished goldsmith; Joseph-Grellet Desprades was vicar-general of Die in 1733; Louis-Jean Desprez was a famous architect in Auxerre in 1742; Jean-Baptiste-Denis Desprès was a man of letters and a political journalist in Dijon in 1752; Jean-Etienne Despréaux was a dancer, violinist and entered into the opera...
Another 92 words (7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Despres Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Despres World Ranking
In the United States, the name Despres is the 11,720th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name.  However, in Quebec, Canada, the name Despres is ranked the 755th most popular surname.  And in France, the name Despres is the 987th popular surname with an estimated 5,328 people with that name. 
Despres migration to Canada +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Despres Settlers in Canada in the 17th Century
- Simon Despres, who landed in Montreal in 1653
- Anne Desprès was married in 1664 in Quebec
Contemporary Notables of the name Despres (post 1700) +
- Jean Despres (1903-1988), American perfume industry businessman, founding member of the Coty American Fashion Critics' Awards
- Sherryl Despres, American actress, known for Fugue (2011), Burst Theory (2015) and All You Can Dream (2012)
- Eli B. Despres, American writer and editor, known for Blackfish (2013), Wilderness Survival for Girls (2004) and Local Mechanic Wins Millions (1994)
- Loraine Despres, American novelist and screenwriter
- Scott Cameron Despres (b. 1970), American professional wrestler, trainer and promoter, better known by his ring name "Maverick Wild"
- Leon Mathis Despres (1908-2009), American author, attorney and politician, City of Chicago Alderman (1955-1975)
- Cyril Despres (b. 1974), French rally racing motorcycle rider
- Julien Desprès (b. 1983), French gold and two-time bronze medalist rower
- Suzanne Desprès (1875-1951), French actress
- Robert Després OC GOQ (1924-2016), French Canadian businessman, Chairman of the Board of Directors of Cominar Real Estate Investment Trust
- ... (Another 3 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ https://statistique.quebec.ca/fr/document/noms-de-famille-au-quebec/tableau/les-1-000-premiers-noms-de-famille-selon-le-rang-quebec
- ^ http://www.journaldesfemmes.com/nom-de-famille/nom/