Desousa History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The distinguished surname Desousa comes from Spain, a country rich in culture and history. The earliest forms of hereditary surnames in Spain were the patronymic surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. The Spanish surname Desousa is the Castillian form of the Galician and Portuguese surname Souza or Sousa.
Early Origins of the Desousa family
The surname Desousa was first found in Galicia, in northwestern Spain.
Early History of the Desousa family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Desousa research. Another 331 words (24 lines of text) covering the years 1037, 1139, and 1391 are included under the topic Early Desousa History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Desousa Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Sosa, de Sosa, Soso, Soza, Sousa, de Sousa, Souza and many more.
Early Notables of the Desousa family (pre 1700)
Another 37 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Desousa Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Desousa is the 11,244th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name.  However, in France, the name Desousa is ranked the 613rd most popular surname with an estimated 7,715 people with that name. 
Migration of the Desousa family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Silvestre de Sosa, who sailed to America in 1512; Juan de Sosa sailed to America in 1528; Hernando Soso sailed to New Spain in 1534; Isabel de Sosa sailed to New Spain in 1536.
Contemporary Notables of the name Desousa (post 1700) +
- Frank DeSousa (b. 1943), American professional baseball player
- Teresa Nunes Alves de Sousa (b. 1979), Spanish, Lisbon based visual artist
- Ovídio de Sousa Martins (b. 1928), Portuguese famous Cape Verdean poet and journalist
- Amílcar Augusto Queirós de Sousa (1876-1940), Portuguese medical doctor, and author of many health books, being the most famous O Naturismo (Naturism), published in 1912
- João de Sousa Carvalho (1745-1798), foremost Portuguese composer of his generation
- Marjorie de Sousa (b. 1980), born Marjorie Lissette, a Venezuelan actress and model of Portuguese descent
- Mauricio Araújo de Sousa (b. 1935), Brazilian cartoonist who has created over 200 characters for his popular series of children's comic books
- Ronald Bon de Sousa Pernes (b. 1940), Swiss-born, Canadian philosopher and academic, Emeritus Professor at the Department of Philosophy of the University of Toronto
- Marcelo Damy de Sousa Santos (1914-2009), Brazilian physicist
- Maria de Sousa GCSE GOSE (1939-2020), Portuguese immunologist, poet and writer; she died from COVID-19
- ... (Another 3 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ http://www.journaldesfemmes.com/nom-de-famille/nom/