100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: Portuguese
From the historical and enchanting region of Spain
emerged a multitude of noble families, including the distinguished Desilva family. The original bearer of the name Desilva, which is a local
surname, once lived, held land, or was born in the beautiful region of Spain
. In Spain
, hereditary surnames
were adopted according to fairly general rules and during the late Middle Ages, names that were derived from localities became increasingly widespread. Local
names originally denoted the proprietorship of the village or estate. The Desilva family originally lived in one of the numerous places named Silva, which are scattered throughout the provinces of Leon, Coruna, Lugo and Oviedo. The surname Desilva was derived from the Latin word "silva," which meant "wood."
The surname Desilva was first found in Leon and Galicia
, important Christian kingdoms of mediaeval Spain.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Silva, Silvera and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Desilva research. Another 349 words (25 lines of text) covering the year 1796 is included under the topic Early Desilva History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 165 words (12 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Desilva Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Desilva Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- John Joseph DeSilva, who arrived in New York in 1792
Desilva Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Baltasar DeSilva, who arrived in America in 1835
- Francisco DeSilva, who landed in New Spain in 1838
- Miguel DeSilva, who landed in Guatemala in 1838
- Rosa DeSilva, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- M R DeSilva, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
Desilva Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Felicia Desilva, aged 19, who landed in America from Benevento, Benevento, Italy, in 1906
- Manuel deSilva, aged 21, who landed in America, in 1906
- Carmine DeSilva, aged 3, who landed in America from Avellino, Italy, in 1907
- Manuel DeSilva, aged 22, who emigrated to the United States from Val D'Ozenda, Portugal, in 1910
- Joan C deSilva, aged 33, who landed in America from Lisbon, Portugal, in 1914
- Norman deSilva, former American NCAA basketball player and Assistant Coach
- John Reed DeSilva (b. 1967), American former right-handed pitcher in Major League Baseball
- Diego de Silva y Velasquez (1599-1660), Spanish painter
- Luigi deSilva (b. 1953), Italian professional footballer
- Walter Maria deSilva (b. 1951), Italian car designer
- Archivo General De Indias, Sevilla. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias durante los Siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Edited by the docents of the General Indian Archives under the Director of the Archives, Don Cristobal Bermudez Plata 3 Volumes - Volume 1 1509-1534. Sevilla, Spain: Imprenta de la Gavidia, 1940. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Atienza, Julio De Atienza. Español: Diccionario Heraldico De Apellidos Españoles Y De Titulos Nobiliarios. Madrid: Aguilar, 1959. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Chronological list of passengers to Spanish America (including Florida and Louisiana, 1538-1559). From documents in the "Indian Archives". Sevilla. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Carr, Raymond. Spain, 1808-1975. 2nd Ed. . Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1982. Print. (ISBN 978-0198221272).
The Desilva Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Desilva Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 21 September 2013 at 14:54.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!