Desha History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Noble surnames, such as Desha, evoke images of the ancient homeland of the French people. The original bearer of the name Desha, which is a local surname, once lived, held land, or was born in the beautiful region of Lorraine. In France, hereditary surnames were adopted according to fairly general rules and during the late Middle Ages, names that were derived from localities became increasingly widespread. Local names originally denoted the proprietorship of the village or estate. The Desha family originally lived at the town of Paresse or Parez, in the Lorraine. Although one would at first assume that the name is derived from the city of Paris, evidence suggests that the names of both the town in the Lorraine and the French capital are derived from a Gaulish tribe called the Parisii.
Early Origins of the Desha family
The surname Desha was first found in Lorraine, where the family was first established and expanded into one of the more notable families of the region.
Early History of the Desha family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Desha research. Another 48 words (3 lines of text) covering the years 1795, 1810, and 1875 are included under the topic Early Desha History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Desha Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Deshaies, Deshais, De'Hay, DeHaye, Dehaye, Dehays, Deshayes, Desaix, Desai and many more.
Early Notables of the Desha family (pre 1700)
Another 37 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Desha Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Desha migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Desha Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Robert Desha, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850
Contemporary Notables of the name Desha (post 1700) +
- Stephen L. Desha Sr., American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Hawaii Territory, 1904; Member of Hawaii Territorial Senate 1st District, 1923 
- Robert Desha (1791-1849), American politician, Representative from Tennessee 5th District, 1827-31 
- Lucius Desha, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Kentucky, 1876 (speaker) 
- L. B. Desha, American Democrat politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Kentucky 10th District, 1847; Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Kentucky, 1856 
- Joseph Desha (1768-1842), American Democrat politician, Member of Kentucky State House of Representatives, 1797; Member of Kentucky State Senate, 1803; U.S. Representative from Kentucky, 1807-19,Governor of Kentucky, 1824-28 
- Albert DeSha, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Arkansas, 1896 
- Desha Breckinridge (1867-1935), editor and publisher of the Lexington Herald
- Desha Breckinridge (1867-1935), American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Kentucky, 1920, 1928, 1932 
Related Stories +