Deruiter History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The surname Deruiter corresponds to the French Chevalier, the German Ritter and the English Knight, each of which is derived from the feudal rank of knighthood. Deruiter comes from the Dutch word "ruiten" meaning to "plunder" or "loot" and was originally applied to highwaymen. However, the word came to be used to denote any mounted warrior or armed horseman.
Early Origins of the Deruiter family
The surname Deruiter was first found in the Netherlands.
Early History of the Deruiter family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Deruiter research. Another 88 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1649, 1683, 1570, 1620, 1811, 1649, 1683, 1607, 1676, 1635 and 1675 are included under the topic Early Deruiter History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Deruiter Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Ruiter, Ruyter, Ruijter, Deruyter, Deruiter, Rüters, Rüther and many more.
Early Notables of the Deruiter family (pre 1700)
From this era of Dutch history, those of this who distinguished themselves included Engel Michielszoon de Ruyter (1649-1683), a Dutch vice-admiral; and Michael Adriaanszoon de Ruyter (1607-1676) the Dutch naval commander, born in Flushing. He went to sea as a cabin boy, and by 1635 had become a captain in the Dutch navy. In the Dutch Wars against England he distinguished himself by the capture of English holdings on the Gold...
Another 71 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Deruiter Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In Netherlands, the name Deruiter is the 67th most popular surname with an estimated 13,140 people with that name. 
Deruiter migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Deruiter Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Bart DeRuiter, aged 25, who arrived in New York, NY in 1854 
- Hester DeRuiter, aged 37, who landed in New York, NY in 1854 
- Pieter DeRuiter, aged 18, who arrived in New York, NY in 1854 
Deruiter Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Augustinus de Ruiter, aged 19, who settled in America from Rilland Bath, in 1904
- Anna de Ruiter, aged 20, who immigrated to America from Amsterdam, Holland, in 1907
- Anna Sofia de Ruiter, aged 8, who landed in America from A'dam, Holland, in 1907
- Eduard de Ruiter, aged 12, who immigrated to the United States from Rotterdam, Holland, in 1911
- Gerardus de Ruiter, aged 19, who settled in America from Rotterdam, Holland, in 1911
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Deruiter (post 1700) +
- Gerald DeRuiter, American Republican politician, Presidential Elector for Michigan, 1972; Mayor of Kentwood, Michigan, 1981-92 
- Derk DeRuiter (d. 1913), American Republican politician, Mayor of Petoskey, Michigan, 1908-09 
- David Alan DeRuiter, American Democratic Party politician, Candidate for Michigan State Senate 20th District, 1998 
- Wesley de Ruiter (b. 1986), Dutch professional footballer
- Jacob "Job" de Ruiter (b. 1930), Dutch jurist and former politician, Minister of Justice (1977-1982), Minister of Defence (1982-1986)
- Niels de Ruiter (b. 1983), nicknamed The Excellent Dude, a former Dutch darts player, current director of the Dutch Darts Federation
- Nol de Ruiter (b. 1940), Dutch football coach and former player
- Niels de Ruiter (b. 1983), Dutch darts player
- Jody Maria de Ruiter (b. 1979), Canadian actress
- Freddy de Ruiter (b. 1969), Norwegian politician
Related Stories +
- ^ https://forebears.io/netherlands/surnames
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2017, April 12) Gerald DeRuiter. Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2017, April 12) Derk DeRuiter. Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2017, April 12) David DeRuiter. Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html