The distinguished surname Dematteis can be traced back to the ancient and beautiful region of Piedmont
. The most common type of family name found in the region of Piedmont
is the patronymic
surname, derived from the father's given name. The surname Dematteis came from the personal name
Matteo, which is the Italian form of the English Matthew. Ultimately, the name was inIn Hebrew
, and meant "gift of God." This name was adopted into Latin as both Matthias and Matthaeus. During the medieval era, the personal name Matteo became popular as people often named their children after popular saints in the hopes that the child would enjoy that saint's patronage in later life.
Early Origins of the Dematteis family
The surname Dematteis was first found in Abruzzi, a region in central Italy. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time, at the beginning of recorded history, was of itself a great distinction and indicative of noble ancestry.
Early History of the Dematteis family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dematteis research.Another 297 words (21 lines of text) covering the years 1500, 1188, 1586, 1643, 1643, 1753, 1779, 1792, 1832, 1833, 1480, 1501, 1577, 1640, 1694, 1350, 1675, 1672, 1750 and 1863 are included under the topic Early Dematteis History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Dematteis Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Mattei, Mattedi, Matteini, Matteis, Matteo, Matteolli, Matteoni, Matteotti, Matteucci, Matteuzzi, Mattussi, Mattuzzi, Mattouzzi, Mattevi, Mattia, Mattiassi, Mattiato, Mattiazzi, Mattiello, Mattioni, Mattiuzzi, Mattissi, Mattucci, Matussi and many more.
Early Notables of the Dematteis family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Mattiolo Mattioli (died 1480), Italian author, professor of philosophy and medicine; Pietro Andrea Mattioli (1501-1577), Italian herbalist; and Ercole Antonio Mattioli (1640-1694), Italian minister; Lapo Mazzei, a humanist and public official in Prato in 1350. Luigi Mattei (died 1675) was an Italian military General... Another 114 words (8 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Dematteis Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Dematteis family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Dematteis Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Agapitos Dematteis, aged 25, who landed in America from Lombardon, Italy, in 1911
- Agapitos Dematteis, aged 25, who emigrated to America from Lombardon, Italy, in 1911
Contemporary Notables of the name Dematteis (post 1700)
- Lou Dematteis, American photographer and filmmaker
- Dean DeMatteis (b. 1970), American actor and cinematographer, known for his work on Source Code (2011), Wanted (2008) and Grace Is Gone (2007)
- John Marc DeMatteis (b. 1953), American writer of comic books, television and novels, known for his work on Batman vs. Robin (2015), Justice League (2001) and Batman: The Brave and the Bold (2008)
- Maria De Matteis (1898-1988), Italian Academy Award nominated costume designer, best known for her wok on War and Peace