Demarco History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Italian surname Demarco is a patronymic surname; that is, one created from the personal (first) name of an ancestor. In this case, the surname was created from Marco, which comes from the from Latin Marcus. As the Italian "di" means "of," we may interpret the surname as meaning "son or descendant of Marco."
Early Origins of the Demarco family
The surname Demarco was first found in Messina (Sicilian: Missina; Latin: Messana), capital of the province of Messina, where a family of this have long been found. The city of Messina was founded by the Greeks in the 8th century B.C., was a free city allied with Rome, and over the centuries was taken successively by the Goths, Byzantines, Arabs, Normans, Spaniards, and finally (in 1860) by Garibaldi and the Italians. In ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time, at the beginning of recorded history, was of itself a great distinction and indicative of noble ancestry. The family of this name in Sicily are said to have come from Spain sometime before the 13th century and were conjecturally descended from a 3rd century Pope Marcellus who resided in Paris.
Early History of the Demarco family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Demarco research. Another 98 words (7 lines of text) covering the year 1643 is included under the topic Early Demarco History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Demarco Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: De Marco, Marco, Marcko, Di Marco, Marcoz, De Marchi, Di Marco, Di Marko, DeMarco and many more.
Early Notables of the Demarco family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Demarco Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Demarco is the 3,249th most popular surname with an estimated 9,948 people with that name.  However, in France, the name Demarco is ranked the 8,873rd most popular surname with an estimated 500 - 1,000 people with that name. 
Demarco migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Demarco Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Prosper DeMarco, who settled in Mississippi in 1898
- Prosper DeMarco, who arrived in Mississippi in 1898 
Demarco Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Francesco DeMarco, who settled in Allegheny Co. Pennsylvania in 1902
- Alfonso DeMarco, aged 29, who immigrated to the United States from Mendicino, in 1903
- Anna DeMarco, aged 45, who immigrated to the United States from Messina, in 1903
- Fred DeMarco, who settled in Arizona in 1904
- Adamo DeMarco, aged 18, who landed in America from Francanilla, Italy, in 1907
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Demarco (post 1700) +
- Tony DeMarco (1932-2021), born Leonardo Liotta, an American boxer and World Welterweight Champion, he grew up in the North End neighborhood of Boston
- Robert "Bob" DeMarco (b. 1938), former American football center
- Brian DeMarco (b. 1972), retired American NFL offensive lineman
- Mario Joseph DeMarco (1924-1956), former American college football, National Football League, and professional Canadian football player
- Tom DeMarco (b. 1940), American software engineer, author, teacher and speaker on software engineering topics
- Vincent Demarco, American Democratic Party politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New Jersey, 1980 
- Ralph F. DeMarco, American Democratic Party politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New York, 1960 
- Paul M. DeMarco, American Democratic Party politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Ohio, 2008 
- Joseph A. DeMarco, American Republican politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from New York 13th District, 1960 
- John W. DeMarco, American Democratic Party politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New York, 1980 
- ... (Another 8 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Historic Events for the Demarco family +
- Mr. Louis Demarco (b. 1877), "Lewis", American Italian coal miner who was in mine 8 at the Monongah mine on 6th December 1907 when it exploded and collapsed; he died 
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ http://www.journaldesfemmes.com/nom-de-famille/nom/
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 15) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- ^ Monongah Mining Disaster retrieved on 8th August 2021. (Retrieved fromhttps://usminedisasters.miningquiz.com/saxsewell/monongah.htm).