Delorenzo History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
A variety of distinguished and notable names have emerged from the beautiful and historical Italian region of Tuscany, including the notable surname Delorenzo. During the Middle Ages, as populations grew and travel between regions became more frequent, the people of Tuscany, who were originally known only by a single name, found it necessary to adopt a second name to identify themselves and their families. This process of adopting fixed hereditary surnames in Italy began in the 10th and 11th centuries, but it was not completed until the modern era. The development of Italian hereditary surnames followed general principles and were characterized by derivatives from one's given name. The patronymic surname, which is derived from the father's given name, was one of the most common name types found in the region of Tuscany. This system of name-making was widely used because it linked well with the existing Feudal System and during the Christian era, many people named their children after saints and biblical figures. The surname Delorenzo came from the given name Lorenzo, which is derived from the Latin name Laurentius. The Latin name Laurentia was given to the inhabitants of a very ancient pre-Latin city by the name of Laurentum.
Early Origins of the Delorenzo family
The surname Delorenzo was first found in the city of Florence.
Early History of the Delorenzo family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Delorenzo research. More information is included under the topic Early Delorenzo History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Delorenzo Spelling Variations
Enormous variation in spelling and form characterizes those Italian names that originated in the medieval era. This is caused by two main factors: regional tradition, and inaccuracies in the recording process. Before the last few hundred years, scribes spelled names according to their sounds. Spelling variations were the unsurprising result. The variations of Delorenzo include Laurènzi, Lorenzi, Lorenzo,Laurenzi, Laurèntis, Laurentis, De Lorenzo, Di Lorenzo, De Lorenzis, De Laurenzis, De Laurentis, Lorenzetti, Lorenzetto, Lorenzini, Lorenzìn, Lorenzin, Lorenzni, Lorenn, Lorenzato, Lorenzutti, Lorenzùt, Rènzi, De Renzi, De Renzis, Rènsi, Renzo, Renza, Renzetti, Renzini, Renzni, Renzulli and many more.
Early Notables of the Delorenzo family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Bernardo Di Lorenzo, who became a prior in 1479; Lorenzo il Magnifico (1449-1492), a highly educated man and an ambassador to Rome and Naples. Ambrogio Lorenzetti was a Florentine painter born in 1290 who was highly influenced by the artistic style of the Byzantines. He died tragically...
Another 54 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Delorenzo Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Delorenzo migration to the United States +
Discovered in the immigration and passenger lists were a number of people bearing the name Delorenzo:
Delorenzo Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Madelena DeLorenzo, aged 7, who landed in America from Vodo, in 1898
Delorenzo Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Antonio DeLorenzo, aged 27, who immigrated to the United States from Corvani, in 1905
- Commaro DeLorenzo, aged 29, who landed in America from Limatsla, Italy, in 1907
- Giuseppe DeLorenzo, aged 43, who immigrated to the United States from Catania, Italy, in 1907
- Giuseppe DeLorenzo, aged 28, who landed in America from Radicena, Italy, in 1907
- Antonia DeLorenzo, aged 34, who settled in America from Anaronzo, Italy, in 1909
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Delorenzo (post 1700) +
- Bart DeLorenzo, American theater director and producer, awarded six LA Weekly Theater Awards for Direction and Production
- Dana DeLorenzo, American actress, known for her roles in A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas (2011), Rain: A Love Story? (2008) and The Mad Ones (2014)
- Michael DeLorenzo (b. 1959), American actor, director and musician, best known for his role as NYPD Detective Eddie Torres on the series New York Undercover (1994-1998)
- Victor DeLorenzo (b. 1954), American drummer with The Violent Femmes
- Salvatore DeLorenzo (1898-1962), American actor
- William DeLorenzo, American politician, Member of New Jersey State House of Assembly from Bergen County, 1922-24 
- Anthony J. DeLorenzo, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Connecticut, 1956, 1960 
- Anthony DeLorenzo, American Republican politician, Candidate for Michigan State House of Representatives, 1970, 1972 
- Nicholas DeLorenzo, American Chief Technology Officer of PennBioDiesel
Related Stories +