100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: Italian
The distinguished Spanish name Delgado is a nickname
type of surname for a thin person. Originally, the Spanish people were known only by a single name. The process by which hereditary surnames
were adopted in Spain
is extremely interesting. Surnames evolved during the Middle Ages when people began to assume an extra name to avoid confusion and to further identify themselves. Often they adopted names that were derived from nicknames. Frequently, nickname surnames, such as Delgado, reflected the physical characteristics or attributes of the first person that used the name. The name Delgado is derived from the Spanish word "delgado," which means slender, and the Latin word "delicatus," which means dainty or exquisite.
The surname Delgado was first found in Castile
, predominant among the Christian kingdoms of medieval Spain.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Delgado, Delgadillo and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Delgado research. Another 362 words (26 lines of text) covering the year 1258 is included under the topic Early Delgado History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 51 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Delgado Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
- Diego Delgado, who arrived in America in 1513
- Andres Delgado, who came to New Spain in 1571
- Ana Raposa Delgado, who came to New Spain in 1579
Delgado Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Alonzo Delgado, who settled in California sometime between 1796 and 1802
- Alonso Delgado, who arrived in Cuba
Delgado Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Alonzo Delgado, who settled in California in 1796-1802
- Barbara Delgado, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1803
- Manuel Delgado, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1803
- Martin Delgado, who landed in America in 1812
- Juan Delgado, who landed in America in 1812
- Emilio Delgado (b. 1940), American actor
- John Delgado, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Texas, 2008
- Jesse L. Delgado, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 1972
- Gustavo A. Delgado, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 2008
- Gilbert Delgado, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Illinois, 2000, 2004 (alternate)
- Francisco Afan Delgado (1886-1964), American politician, Member of the Phillipine Islands House of Representatives, 1931-34; Resident Commissioner to U.S. Congress from the Phillipine Islands, 1935-36
- Cirilo Tirado Delgado, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Puerto Rico, 1996
- Christine Delgado, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 2004
- Bruce Carlos Delgado, American politician, Candidate for Mayor of Marina, California, 2004
- Anita Delgado (b. 1953), American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from New York, 2004
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Domínguez, C. Hispano de Apellidos y Blasones. 4 Vols. 2001. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Annuaire Général Héraldique Universel. Paris: Institut Héraldique, 1901. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
The Delgado Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Delgado Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 27 October 2015 at 11:35.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!