on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: Italian, Spanish
Where did the Spanish Delgado family come from? What is the Spanish Delgado family crest and coat of arms? When did the Delgado family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Delgado family history?The distinguished Spanish name Delgado is a nickname type of surname for a thin person. Originally, the Spanish people were known only by a single name. The process by which hereditary surnames were adopted in Spain is extremely interesting. Surnames evolved during the Middle Ages when people began to assume an extra name to avoid confusion and to further identify themselves. Often they adopted names that were derived from nicknames. Frequently, nickname surnames, such as Delgado, reflected the physical characteristics or attributes of the first person that used the name. The name Delgado is derived from the Spanish word "delgado," which means slender, and the Latin word "delicatus," which means dainty or exquisite.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Delgado, Delgadillo and others.
First found in Castile, predominant among the Christian kingdoms of medieval Spain.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Delgado research. Another 362 words(26 lines of text) covering the year 1258 is included under the topic Early Delgado History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 51 words(4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Delgado Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
- Diego Delgado, who arrived in America in 1513
- Andres Delgado, who came to New Spain in 1571
- Ana Raposa Delgado, who came to New Spain in 1579
Delgado Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Alonzo Delgado, who settled in California sometime between 1796 and 1802
- Alonso Delgado, who arrived in Cuba
Delgado Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Alonzo Delgado, who settled in California in 1796-1802
- Barbara Delgado, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1803
- Manuel Delgado, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1803
- Martin Delgado, who landed in America in 1812
- Juan Delgado, who landed in America in 1812
- James P. Delgado (b. 1958), award-winning American maritime archaeologist, explorer and author
- Emilio Delgado (b. 1940), American actor
- Anita Delgado Briones (1890-1962), Spanish flamenco dancer and singer
- Pedro Delgado (b. 1960), Spanish former professional road bicycle racer and winner of the 1988 Tour de France
- Rafael Delgado, Mexican novelist
- Marcel Delgado (1901-1976), Mexican sculptor and model-maker best known for his work on the 1933 film King Kong
- Eloy Alfaro Delgado (1842-1912), president of Ecuador from 1895 to 1901 and from 1906 to 1911
- Adrián Delgado (b. 1977), Venezuelan television actor
- Álvaro Delgado (b. 1966), Mexican political investigative journalist and author
- Camilo Delgado (1927-2005), Puerto Rican actor, announcer, MC, talk show host, and producer
- Chronological list of passengers to Spanish America (including Florida and Louisiana, 1538-1559). From documents in the "Indian Archives". Sevilla. Print.
- Atienza, Julio De Atienza. Español: Diccionario Heraldico De Apellidos Españoles Y De Titulos Nobiliarios. Madrid: Aguilar, 1959. Print.
- Carr, Raymond. Spain, 1808-1975. 2nd Ed. . Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1982. Print. (ISBN 978-0198221272).
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Heraldic Patronimica Española Y Sus Patronimicos Compuestos. Madrid: Hidalguía, 1976. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Annuaire Général Héraldique Universel. Paris: Institut Héraldique, 1901. Print.
- Archivo General De Indias, Sevilla. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias durante los Siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Edited by the docents of the General Indian Archives under the Director of the Archives, Don Cristobal Bermudez Plata 3 Volumes - Volume 1 1509-1534. Sevilla, Spain: Imprenta de la Gavidia, 1940. Print.
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Caballeros de La Orden de Santiago Siglo XVIII. Madrid: Hidalguía, 1996. Print.
- Diez, Ma Del Carmen Galbis. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias Durante los siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Archivo General de Indias Sevilla Volume 6. Murcia, Spain: Ministerio de Cultura, 1986. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
The Delgado Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Delgado Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 26 April 2015 at 12:47.
on orders of $85 or more