Deleo History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The distinguished surname Deleo originated in an area of Italy, known as the Papal States. Although people were originally known only by a single name, it became necessary for people to adapt a second name to identify themselves as populations grew and travel became more frequent. The process of adopting fixed hereditary surnames was not complete until the modern era, but the use of hereditary family names in Italy began in the 10th and 11th centuries. Italian hereditary surnames were developed according to fairly general principles and they are characterized by a profusion of derivatives coined from given names. The most traditional type of family name found in the region of the Papal States is the patronymic surname, which is derived from the father's given name. During the Middle Ages, Italians adopted the patronymic system of name-making because it perfectly complemented the prevailing Feudal System. In Italy the popularity of patronymic type of surname is also due to the fact that during the Christian era, people often named their children after saints and biblical figures. The surname Deleo came from the given name Leoni which comes from the Latin Leo or Leonios, which means lion-like.
Early Origins of the Deleo family
The surname Deleo was first found in 1130, when Giovanni-Antonio Leoncilli owned much land around Spoleto.
Early History of the Deleo family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Deleo research. More information is included under the topic Early Deleo History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Deleo Spelling Variations
In comparison with other European surnames, Italian surnames have a surprising number of forms. They reflect the regional variations and the many dialects of the Italian language, each with its own distinctive features. For example, in Northern Italy the typical Italian surname suffix is "i", whereas in Southern Italy it is "o". Additionally, spelling changes frequently occurred because medieval scribes and church officials often spelled names as they sounded rather than according to any specific spelling rules. The spelling variations in the name Deleo include Leoni, Leone, Leon, Lioni, Lione, Lion, Liuni, Leo, Lio, De Leone, De Leonibus, De Leo, Di Leo, Leonelli, Leonello, Leoncilli, Lionelli, Lionello, Leonetti, Lionetti, Leoncini, Leoncino, Leonotti and many more.
Early Notables of the Deleo family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Bussadi Leoni, a noblewoman in Rome during the 15th century who married at age 12 and was known for her piety and charity. In 1425 she founded the Congregation of Women for Promoting Charitable Works. Domenico Leonessa of Naples became the Archbishop of Rossano in 1457. Leone Leoni was a medalist and sculptor born in Como in 1509. His talents became widely known and from 1537 to 1540 he was employed at the Papal mint. His son, Pompeo Leoni, also became a sculptor and medalist. He worked...
Another 93 words (7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Deleo Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Deleo migration to the United States +
Analysis of immigration records indicates that some of the first North American immigrants bore the name Deleo or a variant listed above:
Deleo Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Jacque DeLeo, who settled in America in 1869
- Antonia DeLeo, aged 11, who landed in America from Messina, in 1899
- Antonino DeLeo, aged 3, who immigrated to America from Messina, in 1899
Deleo Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Antonio DeLeo, aged 18, who landed in America from Giardini, Italy, in 1907
- Andreo DeLeo, aged 47, who settled in America from Camini, Italy, in 1907
- Antonio DeLeo, aged 18, who immigrated to the United States from Giardini, Italy, in 1907
- Ballantino deLeo, aged 1, who immigrated to the United States from Casandrino, Napoli, in 1908
- Ballantino deLeo, aged 1, who landed in America from Casandrino, Napoli, in 1908
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Deleo migration to Canada +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Deleo Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Rufus Deleo, who settled in Ontario in 1871
Contemporary Notables of the name Deleo (post 1700) +
- James A DeLeo (b. 1951), American politician, Illinois State Senator for the 10th district
- Robert Emile DeLeo (b. 1966), American bass player and musician
- Dean DeLeo (b. 1961), American guitarist, best known for his work with the 90's rock band Stone Temple Pilots
- Robert Deleo, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Massachusetts, 2004 
- Raymond DeLeo, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Rhode Island, 1960 
- James A. DeLeo, American Democrat politician, Elected Illinois State Senate 10th District 1992; Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Illinois, 1996, 2004; Presidential Elector for Illinois, 1996, 2000 
Related Stories +