Delapena History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Noble surnames, such as Delapena, evoke images of the ancient homeland of the Spanish people. The original bearer of the name Delapena, which is a local surname, once lived, held land, or was born in the beautiful region of Spain. In Spain, hereditary surnames were adopted according to fairly general rules and during the late Middle Ages, names that were derived from localities became increasingly widespread. Local names originally denoted the proprietorship of the village or estate. The Delapena family originally lived near a cliff or on a rocky patch of land. Ancient records reveal the name Delapena is derived from the Spanish word "peña," which means "rock," "crag" or "cliff."
Early Origins of the Delapena family
The surname Delapena was first found in Castile, in north central Spain.
Early History of the Delapena family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Delapena research. Another 109 words (8 lines of text) covering the year 1338 is included under the topic Early Delapena History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Delapena Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Pena, Peña, Penas, Peñas, de Pena, de Peña, de la Pena, de la Peña, Peñal, Penal, Peñón, Peñon, Penón, Penon, Peño, Peno, Peñuela and many more.
Early Notables of the Delapena family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family were seventeenth century Spanish writer Juan Antonio de la Peña; eighteenth century Colombian military officer Vicente Peña; nineteenth century Colombian poet Belisario Peña; nineteenth century Ecuadoran jurist and diplomat Lorenzo R. Peña; nineteenth century Colombian naturalist Camilo Peña; nineteenth century...
Another 45 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Delapena Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Delapena migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Delapena Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Alonso DeLaPena, who landed in Cartagena in 1835 
- Diego DeLaPena, who landed in New Spain in 1835 
- Francisco DeLaPena, who landed in Dominican Republic in 1835 
- Maria DeLaPena, who arrived in Dominican Republic in 1836 
- Toribio DeLaPena, who arrived in New Spain in 1836 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Delapena (post 1700) +
- Narciso Virgilio Díaz de la Peña (1807-1876), French landscape painter
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)