100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, Italian
Where did the Italian Delano family come from? What is the Italian Delano family crest and coat of arms? When did the Delano family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Delano family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Lana, Lano, Lani, Lanni, Lanata, Lanaro, Lanario, Lane, Lancca and many more.
First found in Brescia (Latin: Brixia) in Lomardy, capital of the province of Brescia. The Pizza del Museois the main feature of the town and marks the site of the Forum. Vespasian erected the Capitoleum in 73 A.D. It contains the famous bronze statue of Vistory. The convent of S.Salvatore is also notable, founded by Desiderius, King of Lombardy. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time, at the beginning of recorded history, was of itself a great distinction and indicative of noble ancestry.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Delano research. Another 189 words(14 lines of text) covering the years 1552, 1653, 1597 and 1646 are included under the topic Early Delano History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 23 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Delano Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
- Philippe Delano (de Lannoy), a 19 years old Pilgrim thought to be of Flemish descent, who arrived at Plymouth, Massachusetts on November 9, 1621, aboard the ship "Fortune" His descendents include Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Robert Redford, and Alan B. Shepard
Delano Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Philip Delano, who landed in Massachusetts in 1621
Delano Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- J. Delano, who arrived in Baltimore in 1820
- M. Delano, who arrived in New Orleans in 1823
- Gerard Curtis Delano (b. 1890), American painter of the South West region
- Amasa Delano (1763-1823), American sea captain, soldier in the American Revolution, who later wrote and published accounts of his experiences
- Diane A Delano (b. 1957), American character actress
- William Adams Delano (1874-1960), American architect
- Jane Arminda Delano (1862-1919), American nurse, and founder of the American Red Cross Nursing Service
- Charles Delano (1820-1883), American politician, U.S. Representative from Massachusetts
- Columbus Delano (1809-1896), American lawyer and a statesman
- Barzilla Delano (1755-1835), appointed by president George Washington, as the first light keeper in Maine
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Annuaire Général Héraldique Universel. Paris: Institut Héraldique, 1901. Print.
- Dizionario Biografico degli Italiani. Rome Istituto della Enciclopedia Italiana 56 volumesr. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial Général by J.B. Rietstap. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today, 1967. Print. (ISBN 0-0900455-209).
- Glazier, Ira A. and P. Williams Filby Edition. Italians to America. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- Colletta, John P. Finding Italian Roots The Complete Guide for Americans. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 2003. Print.
The Delano Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Delano Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 8 October 2013 at 13:30.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!