The mountainous borders of Spain
contain the origins of the prestigious surname Delagarza. The earliest forms of hereditary surnames
were the patronymic
surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. Spanish patronymic names emerged as early as the mid-9th century and the most common patronymic suffix is "ez." The patronyms were derived from a variety of given names that were of many different origins.
Early Origins of the Delagarza family
The surname Delagarza was first found in Galicia
, an important Christian kingdom of medieval Spain.
Early History of the Delagarza family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Delagarza research.Another 614 words (44 lines of text) covering the years 1037, 1139, and 1162 are included under the topic Early Delagarza History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Delagarza Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Garza, de Garza, de la Garza, Garzo, Garzón and many more.
Early Notables of the Delagarza family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Delagarza Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Delagarza family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Delagarza Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Gustavo de la Garza, aged 45, who landed in America from Mexico City, in 1908
- Cleofas de la Garza, aged 40, who landed in America, in 1911
- Emeterio de la Garza, aged 40, who emigrated to the United States from Mexico City, Mexico, in 1913
- Agustin de la Garza, aged 28, who emigrated to America from Havana, Cuba, in 1914
- Adela de la Garza, aged 52, who landed in America from Monterey, Mexico, in 1922
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Delagarza (post 1700)
- Adolph Joseph DeLaGarza (b. 1987), American soccer player
- Lance Corporal Emilio Albert De La Garza Jr. (1949-1970), American Marine posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor
- Luis DeLaGarza (b. 1983), American baseball player in the Major Leagues
- Alana de la Garza (b. 1976), American actress
- Juan de la Garza (b. 1961), retired Mexican javelin thrower