Dekker History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The German surname Dekker emerged in the lands that formed the powerful German state of Prussia, which at one time was an immense German territory that stretched from France and the Low Countries to the Baltic sea and Poland. After the fall of the Roman Empire, the German territories were inhabited by a variety of Barbarian tribes. The borders of the Barbarian kingdoms changed frequently, but the region that became known as Prussia was roughly divided between the areas of Brandenburg-Prussia, West Prussia, and East Prussia. The Dekker family emerged in Brandenburg-Prussia, which is essentially the birthplace of modern Germany. By the 19th century, Brandenburg-Prussia had incorporated East Prussia, West Prussia and many other German territories. Moreover, in the late 19th century, it led the German states in the unification of Germany.
Early Origins of the Dekker family
The surname Dekker was first found in Prussia, where this family name became a prominent contributor to the development of the district from ancient times. Always prominent in social affairs, the name became an integral part of that turbulent region as it emerged to form alliances with other families within the Feudal System and the nation.
Early History of the Dekker family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dekker research. Another 103 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1838, 1679, 1749, 1719, 1650 and 1685 are included under the topic Early Dekker History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Dekker Spelling Variations
Many cultural groups lived in the German states in medieval times. Each had its own dialect and traditions, and unique variations of popular names. Low German, which is similar to contemporary Dutch, was spoken in Westphalia. German names are characterized by additions such as regional suffixes and phrases that tell something about the origin or background of its original bearer. Further contributing to the variation in German names was the fact that there were no spelling rules in medieval times: scribes recorded names according to their sound. The recorded spelling variations of Dekker include Decker, Dekker, Degger, Dagger, Deckert, Deckar, Dekkar, Deggar and many more.
Early Notables of the Dekker family (pre 1700)
Another 40 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Dekker Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Dekker is the 13,542nd most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name.  However, in Netherlands, the name Dekker is ranked the 18th most popular surname with an estimated 31,369 people with that name. 
Dekker migration to the United States +
Much of German history has been shaped by the state of Prussia. It was an enduring military power until after the Second World War. At that time, the state was abolished altogether and its land divided between the Soviet Union, Poland, East Germany and West Germany. While some Prussians were content to remain in those countries, others moved away, many of them migrating to North America. They entered the United States mostly through Philadelphia, moving on to Ohio, Texas, Illinois, California, New York, and Maryland. Others went to Canada, settling on the prairies and in the province of Ontario. Among those of this surname listed in various historical records were:
Dekker Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Jan Broersen Dekker, who arrived in New York in 1658 
Dekker Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Hendrik Dekker, aged 60, who landed in Baltimore, Maryland in 1847 
- Hendrik Den Dekker, who arrived in Baltimore, Maryland in 1847 
- Jaantje Den Dekker, who landed in Baltimore, Maryland in 1847 
- Leentje Dekker, aged 5, who arrived in Baltimore, Maryland in 1847 
- Leentje Den Dekker, who landed in Baltimore, Maryland in 1847 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Dekker (post 1700) +
- Thomas Alexander Dekker (b. 1987), American film, television actor, musician and voice actor
- Fred Dekker (b. 1959), American writer and director
- Albert Dekker (1905-1968), American character actor and politician, Member of the California State Assembly (1945-1947)
- Theodorus Jozef Dekker (b. 1927), Dutch mathematician
- Mark Hamilton Dekker (b. 1969), Zimbabwean cricketer who played 14 Tests and 23 One Day Internationals
- Laura Dekker (b. 1995), Dutch sailor who in 2009, become the youngest person to circumnavigate the globe single-handed at the age of 16
- Femke Dekker (b. 1979), Dutch two-times gold and four-times bronze medalist rower
- Hendrik "Erik" Dekker (b. 1970), retired Dutch professional road racing cyclist
- Ernest François Eugène Douwes Dekker (1879-1950), Indonesian-Dutch freedom fighter and politician
- Eduard Douwes Dekker (1820-1887), better known by his pen name Multatuli, a Dutch writer famous for his satirical novel, Max Havelaar (1860) in which he criticized the colonialism in the Dutch East Indies
- ... (Another 2 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ https://forebears.io/netherlands/surnames
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)