Deitch History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Deitch surname derives from the Germanic personal name Tederich (Theudoricus), which was composed of the elements "theud," meaning "people," or "race," and "ric," meaning "powerful."
Early Origins of the Deitch family
The surname Deitch was first found in Switzerland, where the name Dietrich emerged in mediaeval times as one of the notable families of the region. The popularity of the name can be traced back to the major figure of Theodrich the Great, King of the Goths in the 5th century. From the 13th century the surname was identified with the great social and economic evolution which made this territory a landmark contributor to the development of the nation.
Early History of the Deitch family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Deitch research. Another 117 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1825 and 1855 are included under the topic Early Deitch History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Deitch Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Dieterich (Austria), Dietrich, Dittrich (Silesia), Diterich, Deeterich, Dieterick, Diterichs, Diterig and many more.
Early Notables of the Deitch family (pre 1700)
Another 31 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Deitch Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Deitch migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Deitch Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Marie Deitch, aged 55, who immigrated to America from Melborten, in 1899
Deitch Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Joseph Deitch, aged 1, who immigrated to the United States from Manchester, in 1903
- Dora Deitch, aged 24, who landed in America from Manchester, in 1903
- Basse Deitch, aged 19, who settled in America from Sagcuen, in 1906
- Feiwish Deitch, aged 20, who immigrated to the United States from Mizoroschan, Russia, in 1911
- Simka Deitch, aged 23, who landed in America from Confale, Turkey, in 1914
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Deitch (post 1700) +
- Eugene Merril "Gene" Deitch (1924-2020), American illustrator, animator and film director; awarded the "Annie" by ASIFA Hollywood for a lifetime contribution to the art of animation in 2003
- Robert Deitch, American author and social activist
- Joseph S. Deitch (b. 1950), American business executive, founder and Chairman of Commonwealth Financial Network
- Adam David Deitch, American Grammy Award nominated producer and drummer
- Jeffrey Deitch (b. 1950), American art dealer, curator, and former director of the Museum of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles (MOCA)
- Donna Deitch (b. 1945), American film and television director, best known for her film Desert Hearts (1986)
- Kim Deitch (b. 1944), American cartoonist, son of Gene Deitch
Related Stories +