Defazio History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
From the ancient and picturesque Italian region of Venice emerged a variety of distinguished names, including the notable surname Defazio. Although people were originally known only by a single name, it became necessary for people to adopt a second name to identify themselves as populations grew and travel became more frequent. The process of adopting fixed hereditary surnames was not complete until the modern era, but the use of hereditary family names in Italy began in the 10th and 11th centuries. Italian hereditary surnames were developed according to fairly general principles and they are characterized by a profusion of derivatives coined from given names. Although the most traditional type of family name found in the region of Venice is the patronymic surname, which is derived from the father's given name, local surnames are also found. Local names, which are the least frequent of the major types of surnames found in Italy, are derived from a place-name where the original bearer once resided or held land. Often Italian local surnames bore the prefix "di," which signifies emigration from one place to another, but does not necessarily denote nobility. The Defazio family lived in this area, where the Fazio family lived as early as 1209.
Early Origins of the Defazio family
The surname Defazio was first found in Genoa (Italian: Genova), a port on the Gulf of Genoa, capital of the province of Genoa. 4th century B.C it was occupied by the Greeks, destroyed by the Carthaginians in 209 B.C and restored by Rome who made it their headquarters. They survived the Lombard and Carolingan intrusions. Were well known for their naval prowess. Shipbuilding flourished in this natural sea port. Much migration took place to South America pre WWII. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time, at the beginning of recorded history, was of itself a great distinction and indicative of noble ancestry. The family were nobility in Pavia and in Venice were they seated in 1209. They later branched to Sicily when maestro Giovanni Fazo held a mansion and estates from Frederico II.
Early History of the Defazio family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Defazio research. Another 68 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1682, 1400, 1461, 1682 and 1760 are included under the topic Early Defazio History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Defazio Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Fazio, Fazzio, Fazia, Fazzin, Fazzina, Fazzino, Fazzini, Fazzioli, Fazzuoli, Fazzia, Fazi and many more.
Early Notables of the Defazio family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Bartolomeo Fazio, a humanist and historian in La Spezia in 1400. He was also an ambassador and a teacher, and lived in the court of Alfonso I of Naples. He wrote a 10 volume History of Alfonso. Giovanni Fazzari was mayor of Tropea in 1461, and Giuseppe Fazzari was Governor of Reggio, Lipari, and later, of Cosenza and Manfredonia...
Another 66 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Defazio Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Defazio migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Defazio Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Francesco DeFazio, aged 21, who immigrated to the United States, in 1893
- Salvato Defazio, aged 37, who landed in America from Chiaravalle, in 1894
Defazio Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Antonetta DeFazio, aged 11, who landed in America from Monteforte, in 1904
- Emilia DeFazio, aged 26, who landed in America from Monteforte, Italy South, in 1906
- Carmine DeFazio, aged 28, who landed in America from S. Angelo a Scola, Avellino, in 1909
- Dionisio DeFazio, aged 26, who settled in America from Pietrastornina, Italy, in 1910
- Pasquale DeFazio, aged 23, who landed in America from Cicala, Italy, in 1912
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Defazio (post 1700) +
- John Paul DeFazio (b. 1975), American mixed-media & glitch artist, experimental film & music video director
- Pete DeFazio (d. 2006), American law enforcement officer, Allegheny County Sheriff
- David DeFazio (b. 1983), American ice dancer
- Thomas J. DeFazio, American Republican politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Illinois 8th District, 1986 
- Peter Anthony DeFazio (b. 1947), American Democrat politician, U.S. Representative from Oregon 4th District, 1987-; Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Oregon, 1996, 2000, 2004, 2008 
- Marsha Defazio, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Pennsylvania, 2004 
- John DeFazio, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Pennsylvania, 2000 
- Elizabeth S. DeFazio, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Florida, 2000 
- Cristina Defazio, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New Jersey, 2008 
- Brandon DeFazio (b. 1988), Canadian AHL professional ice hockey player
- ... (Another 1 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +