Defalco History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Defalco family
The surname Defalco was first found in the region of Lombardy, where earliest records date back to the year 1000. At this time, Ettore Falcone and his family moved from Lombardy to the city of Messina, in Sicily.
Important Dates for the Defalco family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Defalco research. Another 32 words (2 lines of text) covering the years 1480, 1600, 1649, 1702, 1798, 1642, 1724 and 1838 are included under the topic Early Defalco History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Defalco Spelling Variations
In comparison with other European surnames, Italian surnames have a surprising number of forms. They reflect the regional variations and the many dialects of the Italian language, each with its own distinctive features. For example, in Northern Italy the typical Italian surname suffix is "i", whereas in Southern Italy it is "o". Additionally, spelling changes frequently occurred because medieval scribes and church officials often spelled names as they sounded rather than according to any specific spelling rules. The spelling variations in the name Defalco include Falco, Falchi, Falqui, Falcoz, De Falco, Di falco, Falchetto, Falchetti, Falchetta, Falchini, Falcucci, Falcone, Falconici, Falconetti, Falconi, Falconio, Falchieri and many more.
Early Notables of the Defalco family (pre 1700)
Prominent among bearers of this family in early times was Giovanni-Antonio Falconi, who gloriously defended Otranto against the Turks in 1480. Placido Falconi was a composer of church music and a member of the Benedictine order in Asola in the mid 16th century. Aniello Falcone was an artist born in 1600, who founded a school of battle painting in Naples. He is also famous for teaching Salvator Rosa. Andrea Falconieri was a prominent composer in Naples around this time. Francesco Falconi was mayor of Sassuolo...
Another 85 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Defalco Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Defalco migration to the United States
Immigrants bearing the name Defalco or a variant listed above include:
Defalco Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Antonetta Defalco, aged 20, who immigrated to the United States from Atena Lucana, in 1905
- Giovanna DeFalco, aged 23, who settled in America from Pratola Serra, Italy, in 1907
- Maria DeFalco, aged 32, who immigrated to the United States from Salerno, Italy, in 1908
- Michelangelo DeFalco, aged 36, who settled in America from Scitiano, Caserta, in 1909
- Giuseppi DeFalco, aged 45, who landed in America from Pomigliano, Napoli, in 1909
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Defalco (post 1700)
- David DeFalco, American former professional wrestler turned movie director
- Lawrence Michael DeFalco (1915-1979), American prelate of the Roman Catholic Church, Bishop of Amarillo from 1963 to 1979
- Tom DeFalco (b. 1950), American comics writer and editor, best known for his association with Marvel Comics
- Luigi De Falco (b. 1976), Italian businessman, Chairman of the group H2biz
- Andrea De Falco (b. 1986), Italian footballer
- Jonathan De Falco (b. 1984), retired Belgian footballer
- Rubens de Falco da de Falco da Costa (1931-2008), Brazilian actor best known for his work in telenovelas
- Emilien De Falco, French martial artist, acrobat, actor and stuntman