Deardorff History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The roots of the distinguished German surname Deardorff lie in the western region of the Rhineland. The name is derived from "Dierdorf," the name of a town located near Koblenz, which is itself derived from "tier," meaning "animal," and "dorf," meaning "village."
Early Origins of the Deardorff family
The surname Deardorff was first found in the Rhineland, where the town of Dierdorf is located. It was common during this period to refer to a new resident of a city by the name of his hometown; thus, it is likely that the original bearer of the name was a native of Dierdorf who had moved somewhere else. The young Deardorff family was instrumental during this early period, playing a major role in the development of medieval German society.
Early History of the Deardorff family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Deardorff research. Another 96 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 150 and 1504 are included under the topic Early Deardorff History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Deardorff Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Dierdorf, Diersdorf, Dierdorff, Deardorff, Derdop, Tierdorf, Tiersdorf and many more.
Early Notables of the Deardorff family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Deardorff Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Deardorff family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Anthony Dierdorff and his wife Christiana, who were married in York, Pennsylvania in 1740; Johannes Dierdorff and his wife Anna Mary Margaret, who emigrated from the Rhineland to Pennsylvania during the mid-18th century.
Contemporary Notables of the name Deardorff (post 1700) +
- J. Evan Deardorff, American scientist of cosmic rays at McMurdo Station in 1964, eponyn of Mount Deardorff, Antarctica
- Alan V. Deardorff (b. 1944), American John W. Sweetland Professor of International Economics and a Professor of Economics and Public Policy at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
- Laben F. Deardorff, American founder of L.F. Deardorff & Sons, Inc., an American manufacturer of wooden large-format 4"x5" and large bellows view cameras from 1923 through 1988
- John Howard Deardorff (b. 1909), American politician
- George L. Deardorff, American Republican politician, Presidential Elector for Pennsylvania, 1904 
- George Deardorff McCreary (1846-1915), American Republican member of the U.S. House of Representatives
Related Stories +