De stefano History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The De stefano surname comes from the personal name Stefano, which is the Italian form of the Latin name Stephanus.
Early Origins of the De stefano family
The surname De stefano was first found in Bolgna (Latin: Bononia), the largest city and the capital of Emilia-Romagna Region. The famous University of Bolgna was founded in the 11th century, by the 13th century the student body was nearly 10,000. Dante and Petrarch studied there. Tisso was tried there for 1564 for writing satirical poems. Bologna naturally, is famous for its sausages. But many noted scholars were born there. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time was in itself a family honor.
Early History of the De stefano family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our De stefano research. Another 102 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1417, 1645, 1710, 1375 and 1460 are included under the topic Early De stefano History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
De stefano Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Steffani, Stefano, Stefan, Stifano, Stevani, Stiévano, Stiévan, Schhivani, Stépan, Stéfanis, Stefanich, Stepanich and many more.
Early Notables of the De stefano family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early De stefano Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
De stefano migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
De stefano Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Frank P. Destefano, who settled in Cincinnati in 1869
Contemporary Notables of the name De stefano (post 1700) +
- Michael DeStefano, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Illinois, 1972, 1980 
- John DeStefano Jr., American Democrat politician, Mayor of New Haven, Connecticut, 1994-Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Connecticut, 1996, 2004, 2008 
- Carmen DeStefano, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Ohio, 2000 
- Anthony DeStefano (b. 1966), American author of the spiritual books
- John DeStefano (d. 2008), American sculptor and painter
- Mike DeStefano (1966-2011), American stand-up comedian
- John DeStefano Jr. (b. 1955), American politician, Mayor of New Haven, Connecticut
Related Stories +