The name Dattilo is generally considered to be a Southern Italian name; however the earliest records we could find of the name occured in the north. Dattilo arose as a surname from several different sources: as a habitational name taken on from any of numerous places named Dattilo; from the personal name
Dattilo, which was a form of a the Germanic personal name
, Dado, Daddo, Datto etc.; and it was also a patronymic
surname using the "D'" prefix meaning "from" to denote ancestry from someone of the personal name Attilio.
Early Origins of the Dattilo family
The surname Dattilo was first found in at Pavia, anciently Ticinum a town of Lombardy
, and capital of the Province of Pavia. Across the Ticino lies the borough of Borgo Ticino. The town is rich in monuments and art. Charlemagne
completely destroyed the Lombards in 774. A Large amount of jealousy arose between Pavia and Milan and by 1056 it had resulted in open war: four centuries of war followed. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time, at the beginning of recorded history, was of itself a great distinction and indicative of noble ancestry.
Early History of the Dattilo family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dattilo research.Another 109 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1300 and 1429 are included under the topic Early Dattilo History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Dattilo Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Dattilo, Dattila, Dattili, Datta, Dattari, Dati and others.
Early Notables of the Dattilo family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Dattilo Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Dattilo family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Dattilo Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Anna Dattilo, aged 30, who landed in America from Napoli, Italy, in 1909
- Comettina Dattilo, aged 22, who landed in America from Nicastro, Italy, in 1909
- Bruno Dattilo, aged 20, who arrived in America from Bavahinohio, Italy, in 1910
- Alberto Dattilo, aged 8, who settled in America from Castellamar, Italy, in 1911
- Domenico Dattilo, aged 18, who settled in America from Carolei, Italy, in 1913
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Dattilo (post 1700)
- Kristin Dattilo (b. 1968), American television actress, best known for playing Yola Gaylen on The Chris Isaak Show from 2001 to 2004, sister of Bryan Dattilo
- Bryan Dattilo (b. 1971), American soap opera actor, best known for his role as Lucas Horton on the NBC daytime soap opera Days of Our Lives
- Nicholas Carmen Dattilo (b. 1932), American prelate of the Roman Catholic Church, Bishop of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania (1990 to 2004)
Dattilo Family Crest Products