Damen History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Damen family
The surname Damen was first found in Oldenburg, where the name emerged in mediaeval times as one of the notable families of the region. From the 13th century on the surname was identified with the great social and economic evolution which made this territory a landmark contributor to the development of the German nation.
Early History of the Damen family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Damen research. Another 85 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1540 and 1), are included under the topic Early Damen History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Damen Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Damann, Dammann, Daman, Dammann, Damm and others.
Early Notables of the Damen family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Damen Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In Netherlands, the name Damen is the 145th most popular surname with an estimated 7,641 people with that name. 
Damen migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Damen Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Jan Jansen Damen, who landed in New Netherland(s) in 1634 
- Maritie Damen, who arrived in New York in 1650 
- Jan Damen, who arrived in New York in 1687 
Damen Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Catharine Damen, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1792 
- Sibella Damen, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1792 
Contemporary Notables of the name Damen (post 1700) +
- Onorato Damen (1893-1979), Italian communist revolutionary
- Kommer Damen (b. 1944), Dutch shipbuilder and CEO of the Damen Group
- Karen Damen (b. 1974), Flemish singer, actress, and television host
- José Damen (1959-1975), Dutch bronze swimmer at the 1975 World Championships
- Hubert Damen (b. 1946), Belgian theater and television actor
- Grad Damen, Dutch footballer
- Gijs Damen (b. 1979), Dutch three-time gold medalist swimmer
- Georgius Damen (1887-1954), Dutch cyclist at the 1908 Summer Olympics
- Arnold Damen (1815-1890), Dutch Jesuit missionary in Chicago
Related Stories +
- ^ https://forebears.io/netherlands/surnames
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)