The Crivello surname is from the word "crivello," in turn derived from the Latin "cribrum", meaning "sieve," and as such, it was likely originally an occupational
name for a maker or user of sieves.
Early Origins of the Crivello family
The surname Crivello was first found in Milan (Italian: Milano, Milanese: Milan), the second-most populous city in Italy and the capital of Lombardy
where an ancient and noble family of this name have long existed. The first on record is Assuano Crivelli, Archbishop of Milan from 566 to 567, and later sainted.
The family continued to produce powerful ecclesiastics, and Uberto Crivelli (1120-1187) was appointed Cardinal in 1182 and Archbishop (1185) of Milan, before being made Pope Urbano III (1185-1187). His short papacy was noted for his feud with the Emperor Frederick Barbarossa, who had earlier sacked Milan.
Early History of the Crivello family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Crivello research.Another 22 words (2 lines of text) covering the years 1430, 1493, 1444, 1501, 1458, 1451, 1479, 1452, 1508, 1546, 1617, 1568, 1569, 1575, 1652, 1638, 1642 and 1716 are included under the topic Early Crivello History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Crivello Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Crivelli, Crivella, Crivellini, Crivello, Crivelloni, Crivellucci and many more.
Early Notables of the Crivello family (pre 1700)
Prominent among bearers of this family in early times was a family of Venetian painters, which included brothers Carlo Crivelli (c.1430-1493), whose works include the "Virgin and Child" in the Cathedral at Anscoli, and Vittore Crivelli (c.1444-1501). Lodriso Crivelli of Milan, was a poet, appointed a Papal Secretary by Pius II in 1458. Taddeo Crivelli (1451-1479) was another Italian painter and illuminator, though not of the Venetian family, he is thought to be of Lombard origin and spent most of his working life in Ferrara; Lucrezia Crivelli (1452-1508), a mistress... Another 90 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Crivello Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Crivello family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Crivello Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Carmelo Crivello, aged 24, who landed in America from S. Flavia, Italy, in 1904
- Anna Crivello, aged 1, who immigrated to the United States from S. Flavia, Italy, in 1905
- Andrea Crivello, aged 28, who settled in America from Termini, in 1906
- Andrea Crivello, aged 11, who landed in America from Palermo, Palermo, Italy, in 1907
- Angelo Crivello, aged 6, who immigrated to the United States from Palermo, Sicily, in 1907
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Crivello (post 1700)
- Anthony Crivello (b. 1955), American Tony Award-winning American actor, singer, songwriter, and script-writer
- Max Crivello (b. 1958), Italian artist, illustrator, and art cartoonist
Crivello Family Crest Products