The first family to use the name Crimmon lived in the ancient Scottish kingdom of Dalriada. It was used as a nickname
for a person noted as a guardian. The name, which is Mac Cruimein
in Gaelic, is derived from the Old Norse Hromund,
which means famed protector.
Early Origins of the Crimmon family
The surname Crimmon was first found in on the Isle of Skye
, where they were hereditary Pipers to the MacLeods of Dunvegan
and founded the famous College of Piping, the most celebrated of its kind in the world. They were said to be the greatest Pipers of all Gaeldom.
Early History of the Crimmon family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Crimmon research.Another 195 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 153 and 1533 are included under the topic Early Crimmon History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Crimmon Spelling Variations
Medieval translation of Gaelic names could not be referred to as an accurate process. Spelling was not yet standardized, and names in documents from that era are riddled with spelling variations
. Crimmon has been written as MacCrimmon, MacRimmon, MacCrummen, MacCrummin, Crimmon, Crimmons, Crimmin and many more.
Early Notables of the Crimmon family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Crimmon Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Crimmon family to the New World and Oceana
Significant portions of the populations of both the United States and Canada are still made up of the ancestors of Dalriadan families. Some of those in Canada originally settled the United States, but went north as United Empire Loyalists in the American War of Independence
. The late 19th and early 20th centuries saw the ancestors of many Scots on both sides of the border begin to recover their collective national heritage through Clan
societies and highland games. Some of the first North American settlers carried this name or one of its variants: Donald MacCrimmon, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1847; W. Crimmond arrived in New York in 1822; John Crimmin arrived in Philadelphia in 1861.
The Crimmon Motto
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Permitte caetera divis
Motto Translation: Leave the rest to the Gods.