Costanzo History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The distinguished surname Costanzo can be traced back to the ancient and beautiful region of Sicily, which is located off Southwestern Italy and incorporates the island of Sicily itself, the area of Naples, and the southern part of the Italian peninsula. Although people were originally known only by a single name, it became necessary for people to adopt a second name to identify themselves as populations grew and travel became more frequent. The process of adopting fixed hereditary surnames was not complete until the modern era, but the use of hereditary family names in Italy began in the 10th and 11th centuries. Italian hereditary surnames were developed according to fairly general principles and they were characterized by a profusion of derivatives coined from given names. The most common type of family name found in the region of Sicily is the patronymic surname, which is derived from the father's given name. During the Middle Ages, Italians adopted the patronymic system of name-making because it perfectly complemented the prevailing Feudal System. In Italy the popularity of patronymic type of surname is also due to the fact that during the Christian era, people often named their children after saints and biblical figures. The surname Costanzo was derived from the personal name Costante, which means firm, constant or steadfast.
Early Origins of the Costanzo family
The surname Costanzo was first found in 1182, when the Costanzo family settled in Pozzuoli, a town outside of Naples.
Early History of the Costanzo family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Costanzo research. More information is included under the topic Early Costanzo History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Costanzo Spelling Variations
Enormous variation in spelling and form characterizes those Italian names that originated in the medieval era. This is caused by two main factors: regional tradition, and inaccuracies in the recording process. Before the last few hundred years, scribes spelled names according to their sounds. Spelling variations were the unsurprising result. The variations of Costanzo include Costanzo, Costanzi, Costanza, and De Costanzo and others.
Early Notables of the Costanzo family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Antonio Costanzi, born in Fano in 1436, who was a teacher; Giacomo Costanzi, Antonio's brother, opened his own school in Fano around this time; Camillo Costanzo was a soldier and studied civil law in Reggio Calabria during the late...
Another 45 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Costanzo Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Costanzo migration to the United States +
Immigrants bearing the name Costanzo or a variant listed above include:
Costanzo Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Agostina Costanzo, aged 9, who immigrated to the United States from Termini, in 1903
- Agostino Costanzo, aged 33, who settled in America from Nicosia, in 1905
- Alessandro Costanzo, aged 19, who immigrated to the United States from Caserta, Italy, in 1905
- Achille Costanzo, aged 34, who settled in America from S. Mango, Italy, in 1910
- Alfio Costanzo, aged 18, who immigrated to America from Lentini, Italy, in 1910
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Costanzo (post 1700) +
- Jodine M. Costanzo (b. 1966), American television news reporter
- Gerald Costanzo, American poet and publisher
- Blake Costanzo (b. 1984), American football linebacker
- Jack Costanzo (b. 1922), American percussionist
- Robert Jason Costanzo (b. 1942), American actor
- Richard "Rich" Costanzo (b. 1986), American soccer player
- Angelo di Costanzo (1507-1591), Italian historian and poet
- Claudio Costanzo (b. 1985), Italian footballer
- Camillus Costanzo (1571-1622), Italian soldier, law student and Jesuit missionary in Japan
- Cuono "Nello" Di Costanzo (b. 1961), Italian football manager
- ... (Another 10 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +