Cortinas History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Cortinas family
The surname Cortinas was first found in the several places named "Corte," in Italy. The Italian word corte means "court," as in a manorial court. The surname can be traced back to the year 1123, when members of the Corte family lived in Salerno.
Early History of the Cortinas family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Cortinas research. More information is included under the topic Early Cortinas History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Cortinas Spelling Variations
Italian surnames come in far more variations than the names of most other nationalities. Regional traditions and dialects are a decisive factor in this characteristic. For example, northern names tend to end in "o", while southern in "i". Also important, but not unique to Italy, was the fact that before dictionaries and the printing press most scribes simply spelled words according to their sounds. The predictable result was an enormous number of spelling variations. The recorded spellings of Cortinas include Corte, Corti, Da Corte, Dalla Corte, Della Corte, La Corte, Cortella, Cortello, Cortelli, Cortelletti, Cortellino, Cortellini, Corticelli, Cortini, Cortese, Cortesi, Corteggiano, Cortigiani, Cortesano and many more.
Early Notables of the Cortinas family (pre 1700)
Prominent among bearers of this surname in early times was Tolomeo dei Cortesi, who was from one of the most ancient families in Cremona. He was a lawyer and in 1308 was elected mayor of Perugia. Paolo Cortesi of Rome was a famous author around 1470; Gregorio Cortese was an ecclesiastic in Modena around 1480; Alberto Cortese, born in Modena in the 15th century, was...
Another 65 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Cortinas Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Cortinas migration to the United States +
An examination of many early immigration records reveals that people bearing the name Cortinas arrived in North America very early:
Cortinas Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Miguel Cortinas, who landed in Texas in 1835 
- E Cortinas, aged 35, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1836 
- Juan Cortinas, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1880 
Contemporary Notables of the name Cortinas (post 1700) +
- Amanda Cortinas, American actress, best known for her role on the ABC soap opera One Life to Live
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)