Cornelissen History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The surname Cornelissen comes from the personal name Cornelis, which is a form of the Latin Cornelius. It was the name of several early Popes, one of whom became Saint Cornelius. The cult center of Saint Cornelius was the pilgrimage town of Cornelimünster, near Aachen in the Lower Rhineland of Germany, near the Dutch border.
Early Origins of the Cornelissen family
The surname Cornelissen was first found in the Lower Rhineland of Germany, where it spread to the Netherlands.
Early History of the Cornelissen family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Cornelissen research. Another 25 words (2 lines of text) covering the years 1562, 1638, 1657, 1783, 1824, 1867, and 1874 are included under the topic Early Cornelissen History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Cornelissen Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Cornelius, Cornelis, Cornelissen, Nelissen, Nellessen, Nellsen, Corneljes, Neljes and many more.
Early Notables of the Cornelissen family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Cornelissen Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In Netherlands, the name Cornelissen is the 142nd most popular surname with an estimated 7,803 people with that name. 
Cornelissen migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Cornelissen Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Laurens Cornelissen, who arrived in New Netherland(s) in 1609-1664 
- Lysbet Cornelissen, aged 26, who landed in New York in 1633 
- Hendrick Cornelissen, who landed in New Netherland(s) in 1634 
- Jan Cornelissen, who immigrated to New York in 1635
- Pieter Cornelissen, who landed in New Netherland(s) in 1636 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Cornelissen (post 1700) +
- Cornelia Cornelissen, American author
- Antonius "Ton" Cornelissen (b. 1964), retired Dutch footballer
- Marije Cornelissen (b. 1974), Dutch politician
- Adelinde Cornelissen (b. 1979), Dutch dressage rider, winner of three national Dutch titles and winner of the Dressage World Cup Final in Leipzig (2011)
- Christiaan Gerardus Cornelissen (1864-1942), Dutch syndicalist writer, economist, and trade unionist
Related Stories +
- ^ https://forebears.io/netherlands/surnames
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)