Coppolino History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Sicily, one of the oldest and most beautiful island regions of Italy, is the esteemed birthplace of numerous prominent families, including the family that bears the surname Coppolino. Although people were originally known only by a single name, it became necessary for people to adopt a second name to identify themselves as populations grew and travel became more frequent. The process of adopting fixed hereditary surnames was not complete until the modern era, but the use of hereditary family names in Italy began in the 10th and 11th centuries. Italian hereditary surnames were developed according to fairly general principles and they are characterized by a profusion of derivatives coined from given names. Although the most common type of family name found in Sicily is the patronymic surname, which is derived from the father's givenname, names derived from occupations are also found. Occupational surnames, which are less common than other types of surnames in Italy, date back to the feudal era. However, under the Feudal System, occupational names did not become hereditary until the offices themselves became hereditary. It was only after an occupation was inherited by several generations in lineal descent that occupational names came to be applied to entire families, and so became a hereditary surname. The surname Coppolino is an occupational name for a maker of "coppolas," which are a type of hat. The Italian word "coppola" literally means little round hat in the Neapolitan dialect. The name Coppola could have also been a nickname type of surname given to a someone who frequently wore a "coppola."
Early Origins of the Coppolino family
The surname Coppolino was first found in the 11th century, at Amalfi, a coastal town south of Naples.
Early History of the Coppolino family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Coppolino research. More information is included under the topic Early Coppolino History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Coppolino Spelling Variations
Enormous variation in spelling and form characterizes those Italian names that originated in the medieval era. This is caused by two main factors: regional tradition, and inaccuracies in the recording process. Before the last few hundred years, scribes spelled names according to their sounds. Spelling variations were the unsurprising result. The variations of Coppolino include Coppola, Coppolelli, Coppoli, Coppoletta, Coppoletti, Coppolino, Coppolecchia, Coppolone and many more.
Early Notables of the Coppolino family (pre 1700)
Prominent among bearers of this surname in early times was many bishops, including Marco, Ercole, Nicola, and Francesco Coppola. Taddeo and Bernardo Coppola were senators in Messina. Other notable bearers of the Coppolino surname from this era include Francesco Coppoli, a politician in Perugia during the 14th century...
Another 47 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Coppolino Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Coppolino migration to the United States +
A look at the immigration and passenger lists has shown a number of people bearing the name Coppolino:
Coppolino Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Antonio Coppolino, aged 4, who immigrated to the United States from Milazzo, Italy, in 1893
- Concetta Coppolino, aged 5, who settled in America from Milazzo, Italy, in 1893
Coppolino Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Carmelo Coppolino, aged 21, who immigrated to the United States from Oliveri, Italy, in 1909
- Antonino Coppolino, aged 30, who immigrated to America from Castroreale, Sicily, in 1913
- Antonino Coppolino, aged 41, who landed in America from Sicily, in 1913
- Biagio Coppolino, aged 16, who landed in America from Milazzo, Sicily, in 1913
- Carmelo Coppolino, aged 40, who settled in America from Barcellona, Sicily, in 1913
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Coppolino (post 1700) +
- Eric Francis Coppolino (b. 1964), birth name of Eric Francis, an American investigative reporter, essayist, author, editor and photojournalist
- Matthew F. Coppolino (1929-2000), American politician, Member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives (1969-1972) and (1967-1968)
Related Stories +