on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Spanish Contreras family come from? What is the Spanish Contreras family crest and coat of arms? When did the Contreras family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Contreras family history?Noble surnames, such as Contreras, evoke images of the ancient homeland of the Spanish people. The original bearer of the name Contreras, which is a local surname, once lived, held land, or was born in the beautiful region of Spain. In Spain, hereditary surnames were adopted according to fairly general rules and during the late Middle Ages, names that were derived from localities became increasingly widespread. Local names originally denoted the proprietorship of the village or estate.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Contreras, de Contreras and others.
First found in Castile, an important Christian kingdom of medieval Spain.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Contreras research. Another 418 words (30 lines of text) covering the year 1352 is included under the topic Early Contreras History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 88 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Contreras Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
- Isabel Contreras, wife of Juan de Salazar, founder of the city of Asuncion in Paraguay. Isabel journeyed to Brazil on the expedition of Mencía Calderón, who captained her late husband's soldiers
- Rodrigo Contreras, one of the first governors of Nicaragua
- Diego de Contreras, who sailed to America in 1527
- Rodrigo de Contreras sailed to Nicaragua in 1534
- García de Contreras sailed to Peru in 1534
Contreras Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Pedro Contreras, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1803
- Gonzalo De Contreras, who landed in America in 1814
- Diego De Contreras, who landed in America in 1827
- Garcia De Contreras, who landed in Peru in 1834
- Gaspar De Contreras, who arrived in Nicaragua in 1834
Contreras Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Contreras, aged 40, who landed in America from Rome, in 1904
- Antonio Contreras, aged 28, who landed in America from Malaga, Spain, in 1908
- Amora Contreras, aged 26, who landed in America from Santander, Spain, in 1915
- Antonio Contreras, aged 14, who settled in America, in 1918
- Armando Contreras, aged 6, who emigrated to the United States, in 1918
- Joseph Contreras (1710-1780), Spanish famous maker of violins
- Juan Manuel Guillermo Contreras Sepúlveda (1929-2015), Chilean military officer and the former head of the National Intelligence Directorate (DINA)
- Rey Paz Contreras (b. 1950), Filipino sculptor
- Patricio Contreras (b. 1947), Chilean-Argentine film actor
- José Contreras (b. 1971), Cuban Major League Baseball pitcher
- Ivan Contreras (b. 1974), Mexican volleyball player
- Gloria Contreras (b. 1934), Mexican dancer and choreographer
- José Eleazar López Contreras (1883-1973), President of Venezuela (1935 to 1941)
- Francisco Contreras, Chilean writer
- Vincent John Contreras, aerospace corporation executive
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Armorial Général by J.B. Rietstap. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. 1967. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-209).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Maduell, Charles R. Compiler Index of Spanish Citizens Entering the Port of New Orleans Between January 1840 and December 1865. New Orleans: The Compiler, 1966. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Carr, Raymond. Spain, 1808-1975. 2nd Ed. . Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1982. Print. (ISBN 978-0198221272).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Archivo General De Indias, Sevilla. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias durante los Siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Edited by the docents of the General Indian Archives under the Director of the Archives, Don Cristobal Bermudez Plata 3 Volumes - Volume 1 1509-1534. Sevilla, Spain: Imprenta de la Gavidia, 1940. Print.
The Contreras Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Contreras Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 10 August 2015 at 20:22.
on orders of $85 or more