on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Spanish Contreras family come from? What is the Spanish Contreras family crest and coat of arms? When did the Contreras family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Contreras family history?Noble surnames, such as Contreras, evoke images of the ancient homeland of the Spanish people. The original bearer of the name Contreras, which is a local surname, once lived, held land, or was born in the beautiful region of Spain. In Spain, hereditary surnames were adopted according to fairly general rules and during the late Middle Ages, names that were derived from localities became increasingly widespread. Local names originally denoted the proprietorship of the village or estate.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Contreras, de Contreras and others.
First found in Castile, an important Christian kingdom of medieval Spain.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Contreras research. Another 418 words(30 lines of text) covering the year 1352 is included under the topic Early Contreras History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 88 words(6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Contreras Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
- Isabel Contreras, wife of Juan de Salazar, founder of the city of Asuncion in Paraguay. Isabel journeyed to Brazil on the expedition of Mencía Calderón, who captained her late husband's soldiers
- Rodrigo Contreras, one of the first governors of Nicaragua
- Diego de Contreras, who sailed to America in 1527
- Rodrigo de Contreras sailed to Nicaragua in 1534
- García de Contreras sailed to Peru in 1534
Contreras Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Pedro Contreras, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1803
- Gonzalo De Contreras, who landed in America in 1814
- Diego De Contreras, who landed in America in 1827
- Garcia De Contreras, who landed in Peru in 1834
- Gaspar De Contreras, who arrived in Nicaragua in 1834
Contreras Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Contreras, aged 40, who landed in America from Rome, in 1904
- Antonio Contreras, aged 28, who landed in America from Malaga, Spain, in 1908
- Amora Contreras, aged 26, who landed in America from Santander, Spain, in 1915
- Antonio Contreras, aged 14, who settled in America, in 1918
- Armando Contreras, aged 6, who emigrated to the United States, in 1918
- Joseph Contreras (1710-1780), Spanish famous maker of violins
- Luis A Contreras, academic counselor and educator
- Vincent John Contreras, aerospace corporation executive
- Francisco Contreras, Chilean writer
- Rabindranath Loyola Contreras (b. 1933), Chilean veterinarian
- José Eleazar López Contreras (1883-1973), President of Venezuela (1935 to 1941)
- Gloria Contreras (b. 1934), Mexican dancer and choreographer
- Ivan Contreras (b. 1974), Mexican volleyball player
- José Contreras (b. 1971), Cuban Major League Baseball pitcher
- Patricio Contreras (b. 1947), Chilean-Argentine film actor
- Diez, Ma Del Carmen Galbis. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias Durante los siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Archivo General de Indias Sevilla Volume 6. Murcia, Spain: Ministerio de Cultura, 1986. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- García Carraffa, Alberto and Arturo. Diccionario Heráldico y Genealógico de Apellidos Españoles y Americanos 88 Volumes. Madrid: A. Marzo. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Heraldic Patronimica Española Y Sus Patronimicos Compuestos. Madrid: Hidalguía, 1976. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Armorial Général by J.B. Rietstap. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. 1967. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-209).
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Caballeros de La Orden de Santiago Siglo XVIII. Madrid: Hidalguía, 1996. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
The Contreras Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Contreras Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 14 December 2014 at 14:47.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
on orders of $85 or more