on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Noble surnames, such as Contreras, evoke images of the ancient homeland of the Spanish people. The original bearer of the name Contreras, which is a local
surname, once lived, held land, or was born in the beautiful region of Spain
. In Spain
, hereditary surnames
were adopted according to fairly general rules and during the late Middle Ages, names that were derived from localities became increasingly widespread. Local
names originally denoted the proprietorship of the village or estate.
The surname Contreras was first found in Castile
, an important Christian kingdom of medieval Spain.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Contreras, de Contreras and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Contreras research. Another 418 words (30 lines of text) covering the year 1352 is included under the topic Early Contreras History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 88 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Contreras Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
- Diego de Contreras, who sailed to America in 1527
- Rodrigo de Contreras sailed to Nicaragua in 1534
- García de Contreras sailed to Peru in 1534
- Gregorio de Contreras sailed to Cartagena in 1534
- Francisca de Contreras sailed to America in 1535
Contreras Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Pedro Contreras, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1803
- Gonzalo De Contreras, who landed in America in 1814
- Isabel Contreras, wife of Juan de Salazar, founder of the city of Asuncion in Paraguay. Isabel journeyed to Brazil on the expedition of Mencía Calderón, who captained her late husband's soldiers
- Rodrigo Contreras, one of the first governors of Nicaragua
- Diego De Contreras, who landed in America in 1827
Contreras Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Contreras, aged 40, who landed in America from Rome, in 1904
- Antonio Contreras, aged 28, who landed in America from Malaga, Spain, in 1908
- Amora Contreras, aged 26, who landed in America from Santander, Spain, in 1915
- Antonio Contreras, aged 14, who settled in America, in 1918
- Armando Contreras, aged 6, who emigrated to the United States, in 1918
- Joseph Contreras (1710-1780), Spanish famous maker of violins
- Juan Manuel Guillermo Contreras Sepúlveda (1929-2015), Chilean military officer and the former head of the National Intelligence Directorate (DINA)
- Rey Paz Contreras (b. 1950), Filipino sculptor
- Patricio Contreras (b. 1947), Chilean-Argentine film actor
- José Contreras (b. 1971), Cuban Major League Baseball pitcher
- Ivan Contreras (b. 1974), Mexican volleyball player
- Gloria Contreras (b. 1934), Mexican dancer and choreographer
- José Eleazar López Contreras (1883-1973), President of Venezuela (1935 to 1941)
- Francisco Contreras, Chilean writer
- Vincent John Contreras, aerospace corporation executive
- García Carraffa, Alberto and Arturo. Diccionario Heráldico y Genealógico de Apellidos Españoles y Americanos 88 Volumes. Madrid: A. Marzo. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Caballeros de La Orden de Santiago Siglo XVIII. Madrid: Hidalguía, 1996. Print.
- Domínguez, C. Hispano de Apellidos y Blasones. 4 Vols. 2001. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Carr, Raymond. Spain, 1808-1975. 2nd Ed. . Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1982. Print. (ISBN 978-0198221272).
- Chronological list of passengers to Spanish America (including Florida and Louisiana, 1538-1559). From documents in the "Indian Archives". Sevilla. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
The Contreras Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Contreras Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 10 August 2015 at 20:22.
on orders of $85 or more