Comtois History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Noble surnames, such as Comtois, evoke images of the ancient homeland of the French people. The original bearer of the name Comtois, which is a local surname, once lived, held land, or was born in the beautiful province of Bourgoigne. In France, hereditary surnames were adopted according to fairly general rules and during the late Middle Ages, names that were derived from localities became increasingly widespread. Local names originally denoted the proprietorship of the village or estate. The Comtois family originally lived in the region of Franche-Comté. They derived their surname from the second element of the place-name.
Early Origins of the Comtois family
The surname Comtois was first found in Burgundy (French: Bourgogne), an administrative and historical region of east-central France, where this distinguished family was established in early times.
Important Dates for the Comtois family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Comtois research. Another 98 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1755, 1803, and 1805 are included under the topic Early Comtois History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Comtois Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Comté, Conté, Comtet, Contet, Comtois and many more.
Early Notables of the Comtois family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Comtois Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Comtois migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Typical Comtois Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Comtois Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Jean DeLaCreuse Comtois, who landed in Louisiana in 1718-1724 
- Jean Comtois, who arrived in Louisiana in 1719 
Contemporary Notables of the name Comtois (post 1700)
- Philippe Comtois (b. 1976), Canadian two-time gold medalist diver at the 2003 Pan American Games
- David P. Comtois, American Republican politician, Candidate for Connecticut State House of Representatives from Windham, 1906 
- Alfred-Odilon Comtois (1876-1945), Canadian cleric, Bishop of Trois-Rivières from 1934 to 1945
- Joseph-Roland Comtois (b. 1929), former Canadian politician, engineer, soldier and reservist, Liberal party member of the Canadian House of Commons
- Paul Comtois PC (1895-1966), Canadian politician, Member of the Canadian Parliament for Nicolet-Yamaska (1957-1961), 21st Lieutenant Governor of Quebec (1961-1966)
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, February 3) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html