Coelho History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Coelho surname comes from the Galician word "coello," meaning "rabbit," from the Latin "cuniculus." As such, it may have originally been a nickname for someone thought to resemble a rabbit in some way.
Early Origins of the Coelho family
The surname Coelho was first found in Castile, an important Christian kingdom of medieval Spain.
Early History of the Coelho family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Coelho research. Another 75 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1139, 1390, 1406, 1460, 1502, 1531, 1588, 1611, 1652, 1642, 1693, 1661, 1700, 1614 and 1664 are included under the topic Early Coelho History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Coelho Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Coello, Coella, de Coello, Coellos and others.
Early Notables of the Coelho family (pre 1700)
Notable bearers of the family name Coelho Nicolau Coelho (c.1460-1502), an expert Portuguese navigator and explorer during the age of discovery; Alonso Sánchez Coello (circa 1531-1588), Spanish Renaissance portrait painter; Antonio Coello (1611-1652), Spanish dramatist and poet, a member of the household of...
Another 42 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Coelho Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Coelho family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Pero Cuello, who sailed to America in 1513; Leonor Coella, who arrived in Cuba in 1540; Antonio Coello, who arrived in Peru in 1592; Francisco Coello, who came to Peru in 1592.
Contemporary Notables of the name Coelho (post 1700) +
- Anthony Lee Coelho (b. 1942), American Democrat politician, U.S. Representative from California 15th District, 1979-89; Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 1988 
- Carlos Pinto Coelho (b. 1944), Portuguese journalist and media personality
- Paulo Coelho (b. 1947), Brazilian lyricist and novelist
- José Dias Coelho (1923-1961), Portuguese painter and sculptor
- Eliane Coelho (b. 1951), Brazilian soprano singer
- Eduardo Prado Coelho (1944-2007), Portuguese writer, journalist, columnist and university professor
- André Coelho Matos (b. 1971), the former vocalist, pianist and composer
Historic Events for the Coelho family +
- Mr. Domingos Fernandes Coelho (d. 1912), aged 20, Portuguese Third Class passenger from Funchal, Madeira Islands who sailed aboard the RMS Titanic and died in the sinking 
Related Stories +