Cobos History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The noble Spanish surname Cobos is of local origin, that is, it is derived from the name of a place where a man once lived or held land. In this instance the surname Cobos comes from the Latin word "covum," which corresponds to the English word "hollow" or "cave." Thus, the original bearer of the name most likely lived in a place well known for its proximity to some caves.
Early Origins of the Cobos family
The surname Cobos was first found in the province of Burgos in the northern region of Castile-Leon. The earliest records of the name Cobos are from the church of Santo Domingo de la Calzada which mentions a Knight by the name of don Juan Cobo in 1157.
Important Dates for the Cobos family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Cobos research. Another 145 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1406, 1582 and 1657 are included under the topic Early Cobos History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Cobos Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Cobos, Covo, Covillo and others.
Early Notables of the Cobos family (pre 1700)
Con la Reconquista guerra con la que los cristianos bajo las órdenes del rey Fernando y la reina Isabel reconquistaron a España y expulsaron a los musulmanes invasores en el año 1492. Dentro de estos...
Another 35 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Cobos Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Cobos migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Typical Cobos Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Cobos Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Nies Cobos, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1829 
- A Cobos, aged 42, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1831 
- Marcelino Cobos, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1858 
- Antonia Cobos, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1858 
- Jose Cobos, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1860 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Cobos (post 1700)
- Ignacio Cobos Vidal (b. 1966), Spanish silver medalist field hockey player at the 1996 Summer Olympics
- Dr. Jesús López Cobos (b. 1940), Spanish composer and conductor
- Vincent Cobos (b. 1965), retired French footballer
- Carlos de los Cobos Martínez (b. 1958), Mexican former football player
- Julio César Cleto Cobos (b. 1955), Argentine politician, serving as the Vice President of Argentina
- José Javier Cobos Castillo (b. 1968), retired French footballer
- Ignacio Cobos Vidal (b. 1966), former field hockey player from Spain
- Eduardo Cobos Cárdenas (b. 1924), Spanish lawyer
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)