Cloherty History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The name Cloherty comes from the Irish O Clochartiagh. The prefix "O" is usually omitted except where it is still used in its Irish form, such as in Connemara, a region where Ireland's Gaelic culture still flourishes.
Early Origins of the Cloherty family
The surname Cloherty was first found in Connemara Irish : Conamara), which derives from Conmhaicne Mara (meaning: descendants of Con Mhac, of the sea)), in County Galway.
Early History of the Cloherty family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Cloherty research. More information is included under the topic Early Cloherty History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Cloherty Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Cloherty, Clogherty, Clogerty, Cloharty, O'Cloherty, O'Clogherty and many more.
Early Notables of the Cloherty family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Cloherty Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Cloherty migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Cloherty Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Patrick Cloherty, who was naturalized in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania in 1890
Cloherty migration to New Zealand +
Emigration to New Zealand followed in the footsteps of the European explorers, such as Captain Cook (1769-70): first came sealers, whalers, missionaries, and traders. By 1838, the British New Zealand Company had begun buying land from the Maori tribes, and selling it to settlers, and, after the Treaty of Waitangi in 1840, many British families set out on the arduous six month journey from Britain to Aotearoa to start a new life. Early immigrants include:
Cloherty Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Miss Mary Cloherty, (b. 1856), aged 18, Irish servant from Galway travelling from London aboard the ship "Tweed" arriving in Port Chalmers, Dunedin, Otago, South Island, New Zealand on 4th September 1874 
Contemporary Notables of the name Cloherty (post 1700) +
- Patricia "Pat" Cloherty, American businesswoman, Chairman and CEO of Delta Private Equity Partners
- Colin Joseph Cloherty (b. 1987), American NFL football tight end
- Peter J. Cloherty, American Democratic Party politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Massachusetts, 1960 
- Jack Cloherty, New Zealand political candidate for Mayor of Manukau City
- Jim Cloherty, Australian President of the Wynnum-Manly Seagulls, an Australian rugby league football club from 1951 through 1964
Related Stories +