The ancient and distinguished German surname Cloete is derived from the old Germanic term "Klotz," meaning "awkward, clumsy." The name was most likely initially bestowed as a nickname
, either on someone who was clumsy or in an ironic way on someone who was exceptionally graceful.
Early Origins of the Cloete family
The surname Cloete was first found in Hessen, where the family was closely identified in the early period of history with the feudal
society which would become prominent throughout Europe. The Cloetees would later emerge as an influential noble family, having many distinguished branches, and well known for their involvement in social, economic and political affairs. The earliest known bearer of the name was Berchtolt Klotz, who is registered in the "Furstenbergisches Urkundenbuch" in 1343.
Early History of the Cloete family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Cloete research.Another 131 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1606, 1668, 1738, 1764, 1771, 1773, and 1790 are included under the topic Early Cloete History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Cloete Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Klotz, Klottz, Klotzz, Klots, Klotze, Klotzes, Klottze, Klottzz, Klutz, Clotz, Cloete and many more.
Early Notables of the Cloete family (pre 1700)
Another 32 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Cloete Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Cloete family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Cloete Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- W. Brodrick Cloete, aged 40, who emigrated to America, in 1896
Cloete Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Violet Kate Cloete, aged 27, who landed in America from London, England, in 1908
- Broderick Wm. Cloete, aged 54, who settled in America from London, England, in 1908
- Frank Cloete, aged 22, who emigrated to the United States, in 1920
Contemporary Notables of the name Cloete (post 1700)
- Shane Cloete (b. 1971), Zimbabwean cricketer
- Henry Arthur "Patats" Cloete (1873-1959), South African international rugby union player
- Ruben Cloete (b. 1982), South African football defender
- Edward Fairly Stuart Graham Cloete (1897-1976), South African novelist, essayist, biographer and short story writer