Claunch History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The roots of the distinguished German surname Claunch lie in the province of Hessen. The name is derived from the Middle High German word "glunkern" or "klunkern," meaning "swinging and dangling of a bell," and refers to "a shuffling, slouching, and sluggish person."
Early Origins of the Claunch family
The surname Claunch was first found in Hessen, where the name emerged in mediaeval times as one of the notable families in the region. From the 13th century onwards, the surname was identified with the great social and economic evolution which made this territory a landmark contributor to the development of the nation. The first recorded bearer of the surname Claunch was Heinrich Glungg, who lived in Villingen in 1320.
Important Dates for the Claunch family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Claunch research. Another 114 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1320, 1410, 1404, 1460, 1645 and 1737 are included under the topic Early Claunch History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Claunch Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Klunke, Klencke, Klenck, Klenka, Klenge, Glunk, Gluncke, Glungg, Glenck, Claunck, Claunch and many more.
Early Notables of the Claunch family (pre 1700)
Another 28 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Claunch Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Claunch family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Alberdt Klunck, who settled in Philadelphia in 1754; Adam Klunck, a Waldecker mercenary who settled in America after fighting in the Revolutionary War.
Contemporary Notables of the name Claunch (post 1700)
- Robert Claunch, American politician, Representative from Mississippi 5th District, 1998 
- Kirk Claunch, American Republican politician, Candidate for Texas State House of Representatives 89th District, 1994 
- Forrest Claunch, American Republican politician, Member of Oklahoma State House of Representatives 101st District; Elected 2002 
- Quinton M. Claunch (b. 1921), American musician, songwriter, record producer and record label owner
- Charles Kenneth Claunch Sr. (1899-1978), American Government Secretary to the United States Virgin Islands (1954)
- Barton F Claunch (b. 1906), American educator
You May Also Like
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 29) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html