Cino History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
A variety of distinguished and notable names have emerged from the beautiful and historical Italian region of Tuscany, including the notable surname Cino. During the Middle Ages, as populations grew and travel between regions became more frequent, the people of Tuscany, who were originally known only by a single name, found it necessary to adopt a second name to identify themselves and their families. This process of adopting fixed hereditary surnames in Italy began in the 10th and 11th centuries, but it was not completed until the modern era. The development of Italian hereditary surnames followed general principles and were characterized by derivatives from one's given name. The patronymic surname, which is derived from the father's given name, was one of the most common name types found in the region of Tuscany. This system of name-making was widely used because it linked well with the existing Feudal System and during the Christian era, many people named their children after saints and biblical figures. The surname Cino came from the surname Cicco, which is found in southern Italy and the Venetian region as a popular and affectionate form of the personal name Francesco, from the German word frankisk which means free.
Early Origins of the Cino family
The surname Cino was first found in Pisa, where in the year 1270, Giovanni Cini was officially recognized as one of the 12 most pious men
Early History of the Cino family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Cino research. More information is included under the topic Early Cino History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Cino Spelling Variations
Enormous variation in spelling and form characterizes those Italian names that originated in the medieval era. This is caused by two main factors: regional tradition, and inaccuracies in the recording process. Before the last few hundred years, scribes spelled names according to their sounds. Spelling variations were the unsurprising result. The variations of Cino include Cini, Cino, Cinelli, Cinetti, Cinotti and many more.
Early Notables of the Cino family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Giovanni Cini (born 1495), a famous architect and sculptor from Florence; Giovanni Cini of Siena, a painter during the mid 16th century; and Giovanni Battista Cina (1525 - c. 1586), an Italian Renaissance playwright at the court of the Medici in Florence. Enrico Cini, O.F.M. Conv. or Enrico Siculus (died...
Another 57 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Cino Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Cino migration to the United States +
Discovered in the immigration and passenger lists were a number of people bearing the name Cino:
Cino Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Angelo Cino, aged 9, who landed in America from Recalmulo, Italy, in 1907
- Angelo Cino, aged 27, who settled in America from Ravanusa, Italy, in 1909
- Calgero Cino, aged 16, who landed in America from Racalmuto, Sicily, in 1910
- Angelo Gab. Cino, aged 27, who immigrated to the United States from Lago, Italy, in 1910
- Calagero Cino, aged 16, who immigrated to the United States from Racalmuto, Sicily, in 1911
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Cino (post 1700) +
- Maria Cino (b. 1957), American politician, CEO of the Committee of Arrangements, which organized the 2008 Republican National Convention
- Joseph Cino (1931-1967), Italian-American theatrical producer and café-owner
- Michael J. Cino, American politician, Representative from New Jersey 5th District, 2002 
- Federico Cino (b. 1986), Brazilian footballer
- Cino Del Duca (1899-1967), Italian-born businessman film producer and philanthropist
- Cino Cinelli (1916-2001), Italian professional road racer, president of the Italian Cyclists' Association, founder of Cinelli, an Italian bicycle manufacturing company
Related Stories +