Cilento History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Cilento family
The surname Cilento was first found in at Bari in Apulia, capital city of Bari; it contains the Cathedral of S. Sabino which was begun in 1034. In Roman times it was the junction between the coast road and Via Traiana. Its harbor is mentioned back in 180 B.C. It was a crusader town occupied by the Norman Robert Guiscard in 1071. It later acquired prosperity under Frederick II. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time, at the beginning of recorded history, was of itself a great distinction and indicative of noble ancestry.
Important Dates for the Cilento family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Cilento research. Another 99 words (7 lines of text) covering the year 1705 is included under the topic Early Cilento History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Cilento Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Cilento, Cilenti, Ciliento, Ciliendo, Celentano, Celentani and many more.
Early Notables of the Cilento family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Cilento Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Cilento migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Typical Cilento Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Cilento Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Angela Cilento, aged 2, who landed in America from Vico Equense, in 1906
- Antonio Cilento, aged 47, who landed in America from Naples, Italy, in 1913
- Antonio Cilento, aged 16, who settled in America from Stigliano, Italy, in 1914
- Alessandro Cilento, aged 12, who immigrated to America from Serramezzano, Italy, in 1921
- Aniello Cilento, aged 32, who immigrated to the United States from S. Agata, Italy, in 1923
Contemporary Notables of the name Cilento (post 1700)
- Wayne Cilento (b. 1949), award-winning American dancer and choreographer, best known for originating the role of "Mike" in the Broadway show A Chorus Line
- Mario Cilento, American Democrat politician, Presidential Elector for New York, 2012 
- Phyllis Cilento (1894-1987), Lady Cilento, born Phyllis Dorothy McGlew, an Australian medical practitioner, medical journalist, and pioneering advocate of family planning in Queensland, wife of Raphael Cilento
- Diane Cilento (b. 1933), Australian theater and film actress
- Giuseppe Cilento (1923-1994), Brazilian chemist
- Sir Raphael West Cilento (1893-1985), Australian medical practitioner notable in the field of tropical medicine
You May Also Like
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 17) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html