Cicchelli History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The surname Cicchelli came from the personal name Cicco, which is found in southern Italy and the Venetian region as a popular and affectionate form of the name Francesco.
Early Origins of the Cicchelli family
The surname Cicchelli was first found in Piedmont (Italian: Piemonte, Piedmontese and Occitan: Piemont.) Earliest records date back to the year 1112, when Pompeo Cicala was a valiant soldier in the city of Genoa.
Important Dates for the Cicchelli family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Cicchelli research. Another 26 words (2 lines of text) covering the years 1493, 1673, 1686, 1623, 1751, 1780 and 1804 are included under the topic Early Cicchelli History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Cicchelli Spelling Variations
In comparison with other European surnames, Italian surnames have a surprising number of forms. They reflect the regional variations and the many dialects of the Italian language, each with its own distinctive features. For example, in Northern Italy the typical Italian surname suffix is "i", whereas in Southern Italy it is "o". Additionally, spelling changes frequently occurred because medieval scribes and church officials often spelled names as they sounded rather than according to any specific spelling rules. The spelling variations in the name Cicchelli include Cicco, Cicchi, De Cicco, D'Accico, Daccico, Cicchello, Cicchelli, Cicchella, Ciccarello, Ciccarelli, Ciccarella, Ciccariello, Cicchetto, Cicchetti, Cicchitto, Cicchino, Cicchini, Ciccolo, Ciccolino, Ciccolini, Coccolone, Coccoloni, Ciccolella, Ciccotto, Ciccotti, Ciccotta, Cicconi, Ciccone, Ciccaglione, Ciccaglioni, Ciccalotti, Ciccarese, Ciccaresi, Ciccarino, Ciccarini, Ciccarone, Ciccaroni, Cichetti, Cicutto, Cicala, Cicconetti, Cicalotti, Ciceri, Cicero, Cicera, Cicinelli, Cicogna, Ciconi and many more.
Early Notables of the Cicchelli family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Andrea Ciccione, Italian sculptor and architect born in Naples in the first part of the 15th century; Ludovico Cicognara, who was mayor of Sassuolo in 1493; Antonio Ciccarelli of Foligno was the secretary of Pope Boniface IX during the 16th century; Girolamo Cicala of Lecce was famous for his Latin poetry; Francesco-Bernardino Cicala, also of Lecce, was a talented poet who specialized in tragic works; Vincenzo Ciceri of Como was made count of Cerro around...
Another 81 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Cicchelli Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Cicchelli migration to the United States
Early North American records indicate many people bearing the name Cicchelli were among those contributors:
Cicchelli Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Michele Cicchelli, aged 35, who immigrated to the United States, in 1896
- Davide Cicchelli, aged 47, who landed in America, in 1897
Cicchelli Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Emilio Cicchelli, aged 37, who landed in America, in 1902
- Antonio Cicchelli, aged 10, who immigrated to the United States from Ortucchio, Italy, in 1907
- Adorante Cicchelli, aged 21, who settled in America from Carrivaliguano, Italy, in 1909
- Guerino Cicchelli, aged 25, who landed in America from Carrivaliguano, Italy, in 1909
- Giovanni Cicchelli, aged 31, who landed in America from S. Vito Chietaso, Italy, in 1910
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Cicchelli (post 1700)
- Carlos Cicchelli, American Cinematographer, known for his work on Keith Richards: Under the Influence (2015)
- Joseph Cicchelli, American Acting Superintendent of Hackensack Public Schools, Hackensack, New Jersey