Origins Available: French
The prestigious surname Chicoine comes from the majestic region of Dauphiné, in France. Chicoine is a topographic surname, a form of hereditary surname, which was given to a person who resided near a physical feature such as a hill, stream, church, or type of tree. Habitation names form the other broad category of surnames that were derived from place-names. They were derived from pre-existing names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads. Other local
names are derived from the names of houses, manors, estates, regions, and entire counties. As a general rule, the greater the distance between an individual and their homeland, the larger the territory they were named after. For example, a person who only moved to another parish would be known by the name of their original village, while people who migrated to a different country were often known by the name of a region or country from which they came.
Early Origins of the Chicoine family
The surname Chicoine was first found in Dauphiny (French: Dauphiné or Dauphiné Viennois), a former province in southeastern France, where this eminent family was anciently seated.
Early History of the Chicoine family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Chicoine research.Another 249 words (18 lines of text) covering the years 1672, 1693, 1731, 1776, 1794, 1881, 1834, 1887, 1899 and 1920 are included under the topic Early Chicoine History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Chicoine Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Chicoine, Chicoyne, Chicoineau, Chicoyneau, Chicoinot, Chicoynot, Chicoinaud, Chicoynaud, Chicoinaut, Chicoynaut, Chicoinaux, Chicoynaux, Chicoinas, Chicoynas, Chicoinard, Chicoynard, Chicoinet and many more.
Early Notables of the Chicoine family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family at this time was Jean-Baptiste-Absinthe Chicoyneau (1794-1881), Baron
of La Valette, and Joseph-Octave Chicoyneau, baron of La Valette, the son of the former and of Camille Dubois de Villiers... Another 33 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Chicoine Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Chicoine family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Chicoine Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Pierre Chicoine, who married Angélique Paquet in Verchères in 1761
Chicoine Settlers in Canada in the 17th Century
- Pierre Chicoine, who married Madeleine Chrétien in Montreal in 1670
Chicoine Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Pierre Chicoine, who married Marie-Anne Bétourné in Montreal in 1700
- François Chicoine, who married Jeanne Amiot in 1704 in Contrecoeur, Quebec
- Pierre Chicoine, who married Marie-Louise Dubuc in Longueuil in 1741
Contemporary Notables of the name Chicoine (post 1700)
- Denis Chicoine (1937-1995), American Traditionalist Catholic priest
- David Chicoine, President of South Dakota State University
- Daniel Chicoine (b. 1957), retired Canadian professional ice hockey forward
- Sylvain Chicoine, Canadian politician
- F Luc Chicoine, pediatrician, Montreal