Cheli History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Cheli family
The surname Cheli was first found in Florence (Italian: Firenze), originally the capital of Tuscany, then capital of the kingdom of Italy. On the River Arno there are numerous Florentine Churches, Museums, Galleries. It dates back to 313 A.D. The history is complex and turbulent. The de' Medici family are the notables. They were expelled in 1494 but they returned in 1512, out in 1527 and then returned. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time, at the beginning of recorded history, was of itself a great distinction and indicative of noble ancestry.
Early History of the Cheli family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Cheli research. Another 122 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1308 and 1322 are included under the topic Early Cheli History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Cheli Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Chialina, Chellini, Chialini, Chiallina, Cellini, Chellina, Cheli, Chiellini, Chellina and many more.
Early Notables of the Cheli family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Cheli Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Cheli migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Cheli Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Francesco Cheli, who settled in Philadelphia in 1852
Contemporary Notables of the name Cheli (post 1700) +
- Major Ralph Cheli (1919-1944), American officer awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor in 1943
- Michael Cheli, American politician, Independent Candidate for Governor of California, 2003 
- Giovanni Cheli (b. 1918), cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church and prominent Vatican diplomat under Pope John Paul II
- Lieutenant Colonel Maurizio Cheli (b. 1959), Italian engineer, air force officer, an ESA astronaut and a veteran of one NASA space shuttle mission
Related Stories +