on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the Spanish Chavis family come from? What is the Spanish Chavis family crest and coat of arms? When did the Chavis family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Chavis family history?The prestigious surname Chavis originated in Spain, a country which has figured prominently in world affairs for hundreds of years.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Chávez, Chavez, Chaves and others.
First found in Galicia, in northwestern Spain.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Chavis research. Another 398 words (28 lines of text) covering the years 1370 and 1815 are included under the topic Early Chavis History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 46 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Chavis Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Juan Chaves, who served with Pedro de Alvarado and who founded the settlement of Gracias a Dios in 1533. Also of note was Nuflo de Chaves, who voyaged to the New World with Alvar Núñez Cabeza de Vaca in 1542.
- Larry E. Chavis, American politician, Mayor of Richmond, Virginia, 1996-98
- Jordan Chavis, American Republican politician, Minister; Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Illinois, 1896
- Austin Chavis, American Democrat politician, Candidate in primary for Michigan State Senate 4th District, 1956, 1958
- Maduell, Charles R. Compiler Index of Spanish Citizens Entering the Port of New Orleans Between January 1840 and December 1865. New Orleans: The Compiler, 1966. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Chronological list of passengers to Spanish America (including Florida and Louisiana, 1538-1559). From documents in the "Indian Archives". Sevilla. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- García Carraffa, Alberto and Arturo. Diccionario Heráldico y Genealógico de Apellidos Españoles y Americanos 88 Volumes. Madrid: A. Marzo. Print.
- Archivo General De Indias, Sevilla. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias durante los Siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Edited by the docents of the General Indian Archives under the Director of the Archives, Don Cristobal Bermudez Plata 3 Volumes - Volume 1 1509-1534. Sevilla, Spain: Imprenta de la Gavidia, 1940. Print.
The Chavis Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Chavis Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 27 December 2015 at 15:50.
on orders of $85 or more