Origins Available: French
The surname Cellini and its many variations have several possible origins. Some are rooted in the Old Italian words "cellaio" or "cellario," which mean "butler;" in which case the name would have been derived from the occupation
of the first bearers of the name. Some versions of this name are rooted in the word "cielo," meaning "sky." Alternatively, it is also quite probably that some instances of this surname were derived from place-names such as Cella in Lombardy
, Celle, Tuscany
, or Cellino, Venice.
Early Origins of the Cellini family
The surname Cellini was first found in Pistoia, where the Cellesi family originates. The earliest records of bearers of this name date back to a record of the Cella family of Cremona in 1160. In 1200, a member of the Cellesi family of Pistoia was master of the bishops in the city and thus was responsible for appointing new individuals.
Early History of the Cellini family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Cellini research.Another 51 words (4 lines of text) covering the years 1447, 1452, 1523, 1500, 1578, 1639, 1601, 1658, 1606, 1659, 1637, 1689, 1670, 1604, 1687, 1637 and 1695 are included under the topic Early Cellini History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Cellini Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Celi, Celli, Cella, Cellotti, Cellini, Cellesi, Cieli, Cielo, Celini, Celìn, Celotti, Celotto, Celozzi, Celoni, Celn, Celona and many more.
Early Notables of the Cellini family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Baccio Cellini, born in 1447 in Florence, famous for his intricate and complicated decorations; Prospero Colonna (1452-1523), an Italian condottiero in the service of the Papal States and the Holy Roman Empire
during the Italian Wars; Benvenuto Cellini (born 1500), an Italian goldsmith, sculptor... Another 133 words (10 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Cellini Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Cellini family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Cellini Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Cataldo Cellini, aged 25, who landed in America from Supino, Italy, in 1904
- Anacleto CEllini, aged 23, who landed in America from Supino, in 1906
- Antonio Cellini, aged 28, who landed in America from Arcoli Piceno, Italy, in 1910
- Arcangelo Cellini, aged 19, who settled in America from Lupino, Italy, in 1910
- Achillo Cellini, aged 25, who settled in America from Ripateatina, Italy, in 1911
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Cellini (post 1700)
- Benvenuto Cellini (1500-1571), Italian goldsmith/sculptor
- Giuseppe Cellini, prominent painter in Rome especially during the early 20th century