Celaya History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The surname Celaya is derived from the Basque word "zelai" for "field" or "meadow."
Early Origins of the Celaya family
The surname Celaya was first found in the Basque region of Navarre.
Early History of the Celaya family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Celaya research. Another 78 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1388, 1399, 1763, 1490, 1558, 1510 and 1515 are included under the topic Early Celaya History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Celaya Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Celaya, Zelaya, Zelaia and others.
Early Notables of the Celaya family (pre 1700)
Prominent among bearers of the family name at this time was Juan de Celaya (c.1490-1558), a Spanish mathematician, physicist, cosmologist, philosopher and theologian who taught Physics...
Another 26 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Celaya Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Celaya is the 10,648th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Celaya migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Celaya Settlers in United States in the 16th Century
- Martin de Celaya, who sailed to New Spain in 1580
Celaya Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Theodore Celaya, aged 15, who immigrated to the United States from Liverpool, in 1898
Celaya Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Charles Celaya, aged 11, who immigrated to the United States from Managua, Nicaragua, in 1907
- Rogelis Celaya, aged 28, who immigrated to the United States from Havana, Cuba, in 1909
- Evaristo Celaya, aged 19, who settled in America from Marguina, Spain, in 1911
- Tomas Celaya, aged 22, who immigrated to America from Murelaga, Spain, in 1911
- Lorenzo Celaya, aged 18, who landed in America from Amallsa, Spain, in 1912
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Celaya (post 1700) +
- Enrique Martínez Celaya (b. 1964), Cuban American artist
- José Antonio Celaya (b. 1981), Mexican American professional boxer
- Gabriel Celaya, Spanish poet
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm