on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the Spanish Cavazos family come from? What is the Spanish Cavazos family crest and coat of arms? When did the Cavazos family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Cavazos family history?The surname Cavazos comes from the Galician word "cabazo," meaning a small granary built on wooden stakes, a small structure which is typical in the region.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Cavazos, Cavazo, Cabazo, Cabazos, Cabaciño and many more.
First found in the region of Galacia, in the very northwest corner of Spain.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Cavazos research. Another 25 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Cavazos History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Cavazos Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
- Alonso Vazquez de Baamonde, son of Pedro Fernandez de Cavazos and of Inis Alonso de Piñeira, who arrived in New Spain in 1590
- Carlos Cavazos, Mexican-born, American guitarist
- Andres "Andy" Cavazos (b. 1981), former American Major League Baseball pitcher
- Lauro Fred Cavazos Jr. (b. 1927), American Secretary of Education from August 1988 to December 1990
- Eloy Cavazos, one of Mexico's top matadors
- David Cavazos (b. 1987), Mexican singer-songwriter
- Jesús Silverio Cavazos (1968-2010), Mexican politician
- Lumi Cavazos (b. 1968), Mexican actress
- Richard E Cavazos (b. 1929), Korean War recipient of the Distinguished Service Cross
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Archivo General De Indias, Sevilla. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias durante los Siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Edited by the docents of the General Indian Archives under the Director of the Archives, Don Cristobal Bermudez Plata 3 Volumes - Volume 1 1509-1534. Sevilla, Spain: Imprenta de la Gavidia, 1940. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- García Carraffa, Alberto and Arturo. Diccionario Heráldico y Genealógico de Apellidos Españoles y Americanos 88 Volumes. Madrid: A. Marzo. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Maduell, Charles R. Compiler Index of Spanish Citizens Entering the Port of New Orleans Between January 1840 and December 1865. New Orleans: The Compiler, 1966. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
The Cavazos Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Cavazos Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 8 November 2015 at 23:01.
on orders of $85 or more