on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Spanish Cavazos family come from? What is the Spanish Cavazos family crest and coat of arms? When did the Cavazos family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Cavazos family history?The surname Cavazos comes from the Galician word "cabazo," meaning a small granary built on wooden stakes, a small structure which is typical in the region.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Cavazos, Cavazo, Cabazo, Cabazos, Cabaciño and many more.
First found in the region of Galacia, in the very northwest corner of Spain.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Cavazos research. Another 25 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Cavazos History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Cavazos Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
- Alonso Vazquez de Baamonde, son of Pedro Fernandez de Cavazos and of Inis Alonso de Piñeira, who arrived in New Spain in 1590
- Lauro Fred Cavazos Jr. (b. 1927), American Secretary of Education from August 1988 to December 1990
- Andres "Andy" Cavazos (b. 1981), former American Major League Baseball pitcher
- Carlos Cavazos, Mexican-born, American guitarist
- Richard E Cavazos (b. 1929), Korean War recipient of the Distinguished Service Cross
- Lumi Cavazos (b. 1968), Mexican actress
- Jesús Silverio Cavazos (1968-2010), Mexican politician
- David Cavazos (b. 1987), Mexican singer-songwriter
- Eloy Cavazos, one of Mexico's top matadors
- Annuaire Général Héraldique Universel. Paris: Institut Héraldique, 1901. Print.
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Heraldic Patronimica Española Y Sus Patronimicos Compuestos. Madrid: Hidalguía, 1976. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Carr, Raymond. Spain, 1808-1975. 2nd Ed. . Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1982. Print. (ISBN 978-0198221272).
- Diez, Ma Del Carmen Galbis. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias Durante los siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Archivo General de Indias Sevilla Volume 6. Murcia, Spain: Ministerio de Cultura, 1986. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Chronological list of passengers to Spanish America (including Florida and Louisiana, 1538-1559). From documents in the "Indian Archives". Sevilla. Print.
- Atienza, Julio De Atienza. Español: Diccionario Heraldico De Apellidos Españoles Y De Titulos Nobiliarios. Madrid: Aguilar, 1959. Print.
The Cavazos Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Cavazos Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 25 February 2015 at 06:37.
on orders of $85 or more