Cavazos History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The surname Cavazos comes from the Galician word "cabazo," meaning a small granary built on wooden stakes, a small structure which is typical in the region.
Early Origins of the Cavazos family
The surname Cavazos was first found in the region of Galacia, in the very northwest corner of Spain.
Early History of the Cavazos family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Cavazos research. More information is included under the topic Early Cavazos History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Cavazos Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Cavazos, Cavazo, Cabazo, Cabazos, Cabaciño and many more.
Early Notables of the Cavazos family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Cavazos Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Cavazos is the 2,123rd most popular surname with an estimated 14,922 people with that name. 
Cavazos migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Cavazos Settlers in United States in the 16th Century
- Alonso Vazquez de Baamonde, son of Pedro Fernandez de Cavazos and of Inis Alonso de Piñeira, who, who arrived in New Spain in 1590
Contemporary Notables of the name Cavazos (post 1700) +
- General Richard Edward Cavazos (1929-2017), American soldier, recipient of the Distinguished Service Cross, the United States Army's first Hispanic four-star general
- Carlos Cavazos, Mexican-born, American guitarist
- Andres "Andy" Cavazos (b. 1981), former American Major League Baseball pitcher
- Lauro Fred Cavazos Jr. (b. 1927), American Secretary of Education from August 1988 to December 1990
- Eloy Cavazos, one of Mexico's top matadors
- David Cavazos (b. 1987), Mexican singer-songwriter
- Jesús Silverio Cavazos (1968-2010), Mexican politician
- Lumi Cavazos (b. 1968), Mexican actress
- Israel Cavazos Garza (1923-2016), Mexican historian, writer, and academic, member of the Mexican Academy of History
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm