on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Spanish Cavazos family come from? What is the Spanish Cavazos family crest and coat of arms? When did the Cavazos family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Cavazos family history?The surname Cavazos comes from the Galician word "cabazo," meaning a small granary built on wooden stakes, a small structure which is typical in the region.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Cavazos, Cavazo, Cabazo, Cabazos, Cabaciño and many more.
First found in the region of Galacia, in the very northwest corner of Spain.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Cavazos research. Another 25 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Cavazos History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Cavazos Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
- Alonso Vazquez de Baamonde, son of Pedro Fernandez de Cavazos and of Inis Alonso de Piñeira, who arrived in New Spain in 1590
- Carlos Cavazos, Mexican-born, American guitarist
- Andres "Andy" Cavazos (b. 1981), former American Major League Baseball pitcher
- Lauro Fred Cavazos Jr. (b. 1927), American Secretary of Education from August 1988 to December 1990
- Eloy Cavazos, one of Mexico's top matadors
- David Cavazos (b. 1987), Mexican singer-songwriter
- Jesús Silverio Cavazos (1968-2010), Mexican politician
- Lumi Cavazos (b. 1968), Mexican actress
- Richard E Cavazos (b. 1929), Korean War recipient of the Distinguished Service Cross
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Armorial Général by J.B. Rietstap. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. 1967. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-209).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Atienza, Julio De Atienza. Español: Diccionario Heraldico De Apellidos Españoles Y De Titulos Nobiliarios. Madrid: Aguilar, 1959. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Carr, Raymond. Spain, 1808-1975. 2nd Ed. . Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1982. Print. (ISBN 978-0198221272).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
The Cavazos Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Cavazos Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 8 November 2015 at 23:01.
on orders of $85 or more