100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Dutch Cate family come from? What is the Dutch Cate family crest and coat of arms? When did the Cate family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Cate family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Cat, Cate, Catt, Catte, Cats, Cates, Catts, Caat, Caats, van Cat and many more.
First found in Holland, where the name became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. The name was first recorded in Amsterdam, an ancient 13th century town held by the Lords of Amstel. Giesebrecht II built a castle there. Geisbrecht III built the dam to keep out the sea. It is first mentioned in charters of 1275 when Floris IV, the count of Holland granted its charter. It became a city of great mercantile wealth. It hold great treasures of art. In their later history the surname became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into a most influential family.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Cate research. Another 299 words(21 lines of text) covering the year 1762 is included under the topic Early Cate History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Cate Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Cate Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John Cate, who landed in Maryland in 1641
- Richard Cate settled in Nevis in 1654
- Elizabeth Cate, who came to Maryland in 1665
- Elizabeth Cate, who arrived in Maryland in 1665
Cate Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Robt Cate, who arrived in Virginia in 1713
Cate Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Mr. Cate, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
- J. R. Cate, who came to San Francisco in 1852
Cate Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Emma Joanna Cate, who settled in Illinois in 1952
Cate Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- James Cate, English convict from Hereford, who was transported aboard the "Albion" on September 21, 1826, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- Eli Cate arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Morley" in 1840
- Ann Cate arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Morley" in 1840
- Harriet Cate arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Morley" in 1840
- Mary Ann Cate arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Morley" in 1840
- William Henderson Cate (1839-1899), U.S. Representative from Arkansas
- Troy Patrick Cate (b. 1980), American Major League Baseball pitcher
- George Washington Cate (1825-1905), American politician, U.S. Representative from Wisconsin
- Caesar Herman ten Cate (1890-1972), Dutch amateur footballer
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Haverkamp, Alfred. Medieval Germany 1056-1273 2nd edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print.
- Tobler-Meyer, Wilhelm. Familiennamen der Ostschweiz. Zürich: 1894. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Bahlow, Hans. Abhandlungen zur Namenforschung und Buchgeschichte. 1980. Print. (ISBN 978-3768690522).
- Jones, Henry Z. Palatine Families of New York 2 Volumes. Rockland, ME: Picton Press, 2001. Print. (ISBN 978-0961388829).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Gritzner, M. Handbuch der heraldischen Terminologie in zwölf Zungen. Nürnberg: 1890. Print.
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmachers Wappenbuch. München: 1975. Print.
The Cate Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Cate Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 24 November 2014 at 11:17.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!