Cassini History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Cassini family
The surname Cassini was first found in Modena (Etruscan: Mutna; Latin: Mutina; Modenese: Mòdna), a city in Emilia capital of the province of Modena. It became Roman in 215 B.C. It was successfully defended by Brutus against Mark Anthony. It changed hands many times between Church and Duchy. In 1859 the inhabitants declared in favor of unity with the Kingdom of Italy. The Ducal Palace is a notable. Rich in art the city has many museums and galleries. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time was in itself a family honor. Cusano Milanino is a town and comune in the province of Milan, in Lombardy and Cusano Mutri is a comune in the province of Benevento in Campania.
Important Dates for the Cassini family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Cassini research. Another 194 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1712, 1782, 1852, 1421, 1457, 1625, 1712, 1677, 1756, 1478, 1600, 1711, 1700, 1659, 1714, 1658 and 1720 are included under the topic Early Cassini History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Cassini Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Cassano, Cassani, Cassiano, Cassiani, Casciano, Casciani, Cassanello, Cassanelli, Cascianelli, Cascianini, Cassius, Casano, Casana, Casani, Casiano, Casino, Cassino, Cascante and many more.
Early Notables of the Cassini family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Andrea del Castagno (c. 1421-1457), an Italian painter from Florence; Giovanni Domenico Cassini (1625-1712), Italian-born, French astronomer, eponym of numerous craters and Cassini's Laws; Jacques Cassini (1677-1756), French astronomer, son of Giovanni Domenico Cassini; Antonio Cassano, a captain of the militia in Famagosta in 1478; Giovanni Francesco Cassana was a famous painter around 1600; Maria Vittoria Cassana (died 1711) was an Italian painter of the late-Baroque; Nicol Cassana...
Another 75 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Cassini Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Cassini family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Maria Casana, who came to New Orleans in 1779; Paul Castagnet, who arrived in Maryland in 1792; Lucy Cassanova, who came to New Orleans in 1829; Francisco Casellas, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1845.
Contemporary Notables of the name Cassini (post 1700)
- Nadia Cassini (b. 1949), American actress, singer and showgirl who used the stage name Gianna Lou Müller
- Jack Dempsey Cassini (1919-2010), American Major League Baseball infielder, manager and scout
- Igor Cassini (1915-2002), American syndicated gossip columnist
- Count Oleg Cassini (1913-2006), French-born, American fashion designer
- John Cassini, Canadian actor from Toronto
- Count Alexandre Henri Gabriel de Cassini (1781-1832), French botanist and naturalist
- Giovanni Domenico Cassini (1625-1712), Italian-born, French astronomer, eponym of numerous craters and Cassini's Laws
- Jacques Cassini (1677-1756), French astronomer, son of Giovanni Domenico Cassini
- César François Cassini (1714-1784), French astronomer
You May Also Like