on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Spanish Cartagena family come from? What is the Spanish Cartagena family crest and coat of arms? When did the Cartagena family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Cartagena family history?The noble surname Cartagena is of Spanish descent, and appears to be of toponymic origin, derived from the place name where the original bearer first lived or owned land. Thus, the name Cartagena signifies "one who hails from the city of Cartagena."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Cartegena, Cartaganas, Carajana and others.
First found in the Castilian province of Burgos. Early records of the surname Cartagena mention Alonso de Santa María de Cartagena who was born in Burgos in 1384 and was a distinguished politician, poet and philosopher of his time.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Cartagena research. Another 193 words(14 lines of text) covering the years 1689, 1870 and 1797 are included under the topic Early Cartagena History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 59 words(4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Cartagena Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Cartagena Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- J. A. Cartagena, aged 50, who landed in America, in 1895
Cartagena Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Juan Cartagena, aged 43, who landed in America from Santiago, Chile, in 1910
- Juan Cartagena, aged 34, who settled in America, in 1915
- Miguel Cartagena, aged 25, who settled in America, in 1921
- Candida Cartagena, aged 28, who landed in America, in 1922
- Francisco Cartagena, aged 20, who landed in America, in 1922
- Miguel Cartagena (b. 1992), undefeated Puerto Rican-American Bantamweight boxer
- Donaro Cartagena (b. 1934), professor and novelist in Colombia
- Sergeant First Class Modesto Cartagena (1921-2010), most decorated Puerto Rican soldier in history
- Victoria Cartagena, Puerto Rican theater and television actress\
- Juan José Cartagena (1876-1879), Puerto Rican politician, Mayor of Ponce
- Nicolás Nogueras Cartagena (b. 1935), Puerto Rican politician, Member of the Puerto Rico Senate (1973-1985), President pro tempore of the Senate of Puerto Rico (1993-1995)
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Domínguez, C. Hispano de Apellidos y Blasones. 4 Vols. 2001. Print.
- García Carraffa, Alberto and Arturo. Diccionario Heráldico y Genealógico de Apellidos Españoles y Americanos 88 Volumes. Madrid: A. Marzo. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Colletta, John P. They Came in Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Atienza, Julio De Atienza. Español: Diccionario Heraldico De Apellidos Españoles Y De Titulos Nobiliarios. Madrid: Aguilar, 1959. Print.
- Diez, Ma Del Carmen Galbis. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias Durante los siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Archivo General de Indias Sevilla Volume 6. Murcia, Spain: Ministerio de Cultura, 1986. Print.
The Cartagena Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Cartagena Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 8 August 2014 at 21:12.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
on orders of $85 or more