Cartagena History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The noble surname Cartagena is of Spanish descent, and appears to be of toponymic origin, derived from the place name where the original bearer first lived or owned land. Thus, the name Cartagena signifies "one who hails from the city of Cartagena."
Early Origins of the Cartagena family
The surname Cartagena was first found in the Castilian province of Burgos. Early records of the surname Cartagena mention Alonso de Santa María de Cartagena who was born in Burgos in 1384 and was a distinguished politician, poet and philosopher of his time.
Important Dates for the Cartagena family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Cartagena research. Another 97 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1689, 1870 and 1797 are included under the topic Early Cartagena History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Cartagena Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Cartegena, Cartaganas, Carajana and others.
Early Notables of the Cartagena family (pre 1700)
Con la Reconquista guerra con la que los cristianos bajo las órdenes del rey Fernando y la reina Isabel reconquistaron a España y expulsaron a los musulmanes invasores en el año 1492. Dentro de estos nombres de...
Another 36 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Cartagena Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Cartagena migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Typical Cartagena Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Cartagena Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- J. A. Cartagena, aged 50, who landed in America, in 1895
Cartagena Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Juan Cartagena, aged 43, who landed in America from Santiago, Chile, in 1910
- Juan Cartagena, aged 34, who settled in America, in 1915
- Miguel Cartagena, aged 25, who settled in America, in 1921
- Candida Cartagena, aged 28, who landed in America, in 1922
- Francisco Cartagena, aged 20, who landed in America, in 1922
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Cartagena (post 1700)
- Miguel Cartagena (b. 1992), undefeated Puerto Rican-American Bantamweight boxer
- Nicolás Nogueras Cartagena (b. 1935), Puerto Rican politician, Member of the Puerto Rico Senate (1973-1985), President pro tempore of the Senate of Puerto Rico (1993-1995)
- Juan José Cartagena (1876-1879), Puerto Rican politician, Mayor of Ponce
- Victoria Cartagena, Puerto Rican theater and television actress\
- Sergeant First Class Modesto Cartagena (1921-2010), most decorated Puerto Rican soldier in history
- Donaro Cartagena (b. 1934), professor and novelist in Colombia
- Aida Cartagena Portalatín (b. 1918), writer and university professor in the Dominican Republic
You May Also Like